[ontolog-admin] Updated Membership Directory (XML included)

To: Ontolog-Admin Forum <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kurt Conrad <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:49:14 -0800
Peter,

Alas, an updated file is attached. Forgive the small flurry, but this should last for a while.
Changed Monica Martin's email from <mmartin@xxxxxxxxxxx> to <monica.martin@xxxxxxx>.

I'm also including the XML file and associated DTD.  Now may be a good time to address a couple of related issues:

1) Alternative updating processes (This isn't a real burden, but we could spend a few minutes during today's call validating the optimal target)

2) Whether to continue maintaining the semi-structured spreadsheet version of this data.
I'm not completely happy with the current XML structure, but it has been holding up pretty well.

The most glaring deficiency (relative the spreadsheet) is the omission of most of the meta-knowledge (who declined, who introduced to the group, etc.).  The XML could be augmented, as appropriate

The main reason for raising this issue is that I went back and checked for Monica's updated email address in the spreadsheet and couldn't find it

/s/ kwc 2003.03.04 10:48

Kurt Conrad
2994 Salem Dr.                     408-247-0454
Santa Clara, CA 95051-5502         408-247-0457 (data/fax)
http://www.SagebrushGroup.com      mailto:conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ontolog Members

Mike Adcock
michael.adcock@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan Algermissen
algermissen@xxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Dean Black
TrueNorth Consulting
dblack@xxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Mike Brenner
mikeb@xxxxxxxxx
Martin Bryan
The SGML Centre
mtbryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Bill Burcham
bill_burcham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Pat Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
cassidy@xxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Sally Chan
The Boeing Company
sally.m.chan@xxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Adam Cheyer
Dejima
adam.cheyer@xxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
James Bryce Clark
MMI
jbc@xxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Kurt Conrad
The Sagebrush Group
conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Michael C. Daconta
McDonald Bradley, Inc.
MDaconta@xxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Marc de Graauw
Marc de Graauw IT
marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Chris Doyle
TIE Holding
chris.doyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
David Ferrell
ferrell@xxxxxxxxx
Nicola Guarino
guarino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eduardo Gutentag
eduardo.gutentag@xxxxxxx
John Hardin
Envision
john.hardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.
shunting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Dongsoo Kim
kimdsoo@xxxxxxxxx
Eugene Kim
eekim@xxxxxxxxx
Fook-Wai Kong
Hewlett Packard Far East
kongfw@xxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Shiang-yu Lee , Ph. D.
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group
shiang-yu.lee@xxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Thomas Lee
ytlee@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Tony Loeser
tony@xxxxxxxxxxx
Margaret Lyell
mlyell@xxxxxxxxx
Monica Martin
monica.martin@xxxxxxx
William E. McCarthy
mccarth4@xxxxxxx
Tim McGrath
tmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bill Meadows
bill.meadows@xxxxxxx
Bob Miller
Global eXcahnge Services
robert.miller@xxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Farrukh Najimi
farrukh.najmi@xxxxxxx
Steven R. Newcomb
Coolheads Consulting
srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Bo Newman
KM Forum
bo.newman@xxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Gavin Thomas Nicol
gtn@xxxxxxxx
Dr. Leo Obrst
The MITRE Corporation
lobrst@xxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Greg Olsen
golsen@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jack Park
jackpark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Victor Pawley
(Australian) National Office for the Information Economy
victor_pawley@xxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Adam Pease
apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Wendell Piez
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Sue Probert
sue.probert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Marion Royal
marion.royal@xxxxxxx
Joe Rudnicki
CSC Advanced Marine Center
rudnickijg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Vladimir Rykov
MIPT (Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology)
rykov-mtd@xxxxxxxxMember Profile
Joseph Scarpa
abacuscm@xxxxxxx
Andrew Schain
NASA
andrew.schain@xxxxxxxxMember Profile
Ron Schuldt
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
ron.l.schuldt@xxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Tia Scott
tia.scott@xxxxxxx
Norma Slattery
The MITRE Corp.
nslatter@xxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Bob Smith , Ph. D.
Cal State University
robsmith5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Kevin T. Smith
kevintsmith@xxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Scott Smith
scottrsmith@xxxxxxx
Shel Sutton
MITRE Corporation
shel@xxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Andy Tan
Intrinix Networks Pte Ltd
andytan@xxxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
Michael Uschold
michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx
Shinya Yamada
shinya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Patrick Yee
kcyee@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Peter P. Yim
CIM Engineering, Inc.
yimpp@xxxxxxxxxxxMember Profile
Email Introduction
John Yunker
yunker@xxxxxxxxxx

^ >
Jan Algermissen

Consultant & Programmer
algermissen@xxxxxxx
++49 (0)40 89 700 511
++49 (0)177 283 1440 (alt)
++49 (0)40 89 700 841 (fax)
www.topicmapping.com

Online Bio

More information is available at www.topicmapping.com.

Background

My name is Jan Algermissen, I am working as an independent consultant for information organization and search technology. My primary focus is on topic maps and recently their combination with RESTful web services.

Personal Objectives

I think that topic maps are a promising technology to describe web services, especially for the use of integrating cross plattform business applications. I want to exploit and contribute to the 'ontological layer' that is needed for such an integration.

Areas of Interest

  • Topic maps
  • REST web services
  • Information retrieval
  • Text mining
  • Thesaurus/ontology construction and integration
  • Programming

< ^ >
Dean Black

Principle Consultant
TrueNorth Consulting
Portland, OR
dblack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
360-921-5214

Background

I'm a consultant / system designer working in Portland, Oregon, specializing in modeling and database design. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to raise the awareness of the importance of language within businesses. I think that one of the main reasons IT has been a disappointment to businesses over the last 40 years is because far too many folks are focused on TECHNOLOGY (hence the name IT) and failing to realize that systems are really all about language. Until we make strides promoting more universal language, we're going to continue to be disappointed by what we get out of our systems.

Also, it seems like systems keep modeling variations of the same concepts over and over again. Let's cut out all of this rework and develop universal models that are commonly accepted and used.

Those are my interests and why the forum caught my eye. I'm not too sure what I have to offer, but I thought I'd come along and observe and learn and try to stay up to date with where this kind of thing is heading. Who knows? Even if we can never get people to understand each other 100%, maybe machines will be able to speak semantically pure and therefore they can be our salvation-- by cutting fallable humans (and their misunderstandings) out of the information loop! :)

Personal Objectives

  • Learn
  • Keep up to date with development of a Universal information model

Areas of Interest

  • Standard ontology
  • Developing ways for humans to gain equivalent understandings of terms. We have vague understandings for the most part, yet we still manage to communicate fairly well. The miscommunications still prevalent, though, are killing system effectiveness.

Topics for Discussion

  • Common understanding of language
  • Universal Business Ontology

< ^ >
Martin Bryan

The SGML Centre
29 Oldbury Orchard
Churchdown, Glos GL3 2PU, UK
mtbryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+44 1452 714029
www.sgml.u-net.com

Technical Manager
The Diffuse Project
mtbryan@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.diffuse.org
The Diffuse Project is funded under the European Commission's IST programme. Diffuse publications are maintained by IC Focus, The SGML Centre and TIEKE (Finnish Information Society Development Centre).

Online Bio

You can find more about my background at www.sgml.u-net.com/mtb.htmland find details of my research interests at www.sgml.u-net.com/home.html

Background

Hi, I'm Martin Bryan. I was one of the editors of the ISO 13250 Topic Map standard, and have been involved in promoting the use of multilingual e-business ontologies within CEN. I currently spend most of my time tracking the development of Information Society standardization projects for the European Union as part of the IST Diffuse project.

Personal Objectives

My interest in participating in Ontolog is to ensure that proper consideration is taken of the problems with describing ontologies both multilingually and "naturally". In both these cases terms have multiple meanings, meanings overlap and conflict. Problems with defining things using terms such as "but not" or "within domain x" or "in Spain" are often overlooked, yet these terms are vital in understanding why people from different cultures have misunderstandings despite the best will in the world to cooperate.

Scoping and assigning roles to associations are key techniques for differentiating between the use of words in specific contexts that I have been exploring.

Areas of Interest

Another key interest is how to automatically identify the contexts that apply where terms have been used with specific meanings within electronic resources.

Topics for Discussion

Among the areas of discussion I would like to see encouraged are:

  • The linking of resources to multiple ontologies
  • Identifying relationships between ontologies
  • Defining the area of overlap of multilingual terms

< ^ >
Pat Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.
735 Belvidere Ave.
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054
cassidy@xxxxxxxxx
(908) 561-3416
(908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
(908) 668-5904 (fax)

Background

  • Ph.D. (Chemistry) 1971
  • Biochemical and microbiological research at Merck & Co. 1967-1993
  • Ontologist at VerticalNet 2000-2001
  • Involved in building ontologies since 1992, primarily working independently.

Personal Objectives

To participate in construction of a reference upper ontology that could serve as the logical defining vocabulary for any domain or specific application -- to promote efficient re-use of research results and application interoperabilty.

Areas of Interest

My ongoing interest is in the development of natural language understanding systems. I believe that the development of an ontology that can serve to define the concepts in a computational lexicon is a necessary preliminary to the problem of achieving human-level language understanding. Developing such an ontology that is in practice widely used is in consequence a necessary preliminary to the efficient conduct of such research by promoting re-use of results among multiple research groups.

I believe that the development of a widely-used upper ontology is likely to require substantial funding, and I am now exploring with others the best mechanism to obtain funding for such a project.

Topics for Discussion

There has been ample discussion of formats for ontology description in other fora; I hope that any discussion of formats will not be redundant with those discussions. What I think would be valuable at this point are:

  1. Accumulation of a set of examples where ontologies have been used in practical applications, with some evaluation that could allow an estimate of how much money was saved by the use of the ontology as compared with alternative resources for data storage (e .g. a traditional database). This could provide the evidence of benefit necessary to convince potential users to adopt ontologies, and potential funders to allot more money for research.

  2. Maintaining a list of applications that use ontologies, are available to the public, and could serve as test programs to evaluate alternative ontological theories.

  3. A discussion aimed at gaining some degree of agreement on the content of the top two levels (and some additional detail) of an upper ontology that could serve as the highest level of any application ontology. This would require that the participants in this discussion suggest those highest-level concepts that they feel are necessary to represent their domain concepts, and then discussion could focus on the question of whether those proposed upper-level concepts are logically contradictory, or could in fact be accommodated within a single logically consistent ontology (which may have some redundancy). Where logically contradictory representations appear necessary, the next question would be how to include such alternative theories while minimizing the differences with other ontologies. This would help us to learn how to maximize interoperability even when logically contradictory representations are desired by different developers.

    This could help answer an important question: whether the differences in existing ontologies are due to a true need for logically contradictory representations, or in fact arise as an accident of independent development and individual preferences of the developers. A related question is whether one representation may be preferred because it allows more efficient computation than another, rather than being uniquely necessary for representation. Having example applications that could be tested with different ontologies would help to resolve such questions.

    The IEEE-SUO project conducted related discussions, but ultimately did not focus on determining the maximum degree of agreement obtainable at the highest level. Such a narrower focus for this group would not be redundant with the IEEE discussion group effort. The structure of the SUMO (Adam Pease's Teknowledge ontology) and Open CYC would be initial candidates for discussion, but others need to be considered in order to determine whether a single set of upper concepts would not be incompatible with the many existing ontologies.

< ^ >
Sally Chan

Associate Technical Fellow
The Boeing Company
Boeing Commercial Airplanes / IS - Architecture & eBusiness
sally.m.chan@xxxxxxxxxx
206-544-7488

Online Bio

My bio is published in Diversity Careers Magazine Sept, 2000. (scroll down to the middle of the article to read my bio) www.diversitycareers.com/articles/pro/aug-sept-00/asianameng.htm

Background

My responsibility at Boeing is in the area of XML Data Interchange which enables system interoperability and eBusiness.

I participate in several standards groups, in particular, I use the Boeing example to prove out the standards work and recommend improvements:

  • ebXML, UNCEFACT - Prove ebXML architecture, define standard business process (BP), and core components (CC) supporting the business process. Register common BP & CC in public registry for reuse across industry. Boeing example documents is publicly available.
  • OASIS-UBL - Define standard eBusiness documents by reusing ebXML core components. Have completed purchase order and purchase order response documents. Available from OASIS UBL site. An example from Boeing is in work, available in Nov. OAG (Open Application Group) - provides a set of XML documents. Boeing contributes to the OAG extensions white paper, it is available from OAG site.
  • AIA (Aerospace Industry Association) - moving towards XML. Applying UDEF to solve the interoperability problem between different data element names from different standards.
  • ATA (Air Transportation Association) - moving towards XML. ATA XML is used in the Boeing ebXML example above.

Areas of Interest

To achieve interoperability, there needs to be a "SINGLE" standard, however, XML language is so flexible, every standards group creates their own. Developers needs to continue mapping to yet to another "standard". Can we apply ontology to align the different yet similar data elements defined in these standards?

Topics for Discussion

  1. The relationship and difference in ontolog, top maps, semantic web.
  2. For system interoperability, the focus is on data elements, what is the right approach?
  3. For document centric application, the focus is content, what is the right approach?

< ^ >
Adam Cheyer

Vice President of Engineering
Dejima
adam.cheyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Online Bio

Lots more info available at www.adam.cheyer.com

Background

Adam Cheyer is Vice President of Engineering at Dejima, a provider of solutions for enterprises and service providers that need to arm mobile employees and end-users with direct access to critical data.

As the former Vice President of Engineering at VerticalNet, Mr. Cheyer was responsible for development organizations delivering products for consortium marketplaces, private markets, and extended enterprise solutions. Mr. Cheyer has 15 years experience in a variety of roles, including software engineer, research scientist, consultant, lecturer, and technical manager.

In the areas of distributed computing, intelligent agents, and advanced user interfaces, he is the author of more than forty-five peer-reviewed publications and nine patents. As Senior Scientist in the AI Center and co-director of the Computer Human Interaction Center at SRI International, he lead a multi-disciplinary team of researchers exploring web-services, distributed knowledge, and pervasive computing. While at Bull S.A., he was lead developer and architect for NOEMIE, a configuration expert system used to manage Bull's line of 30,000 hardware and software products worldwide.

Adam received a bachelor's degree with highest honors from Brandeis University and was awarded "outstanding master's student" from UCLA.

Personal Objectives

  • Interested in mechanisms for enhancing productivity of distributed teams through methodologies and technologies such as knowledge management, ontologies, web services.
  • Know and respect some of the founders of Ontolog group.

< ^ >
James Bryce Clark

VP & GC
MMI
jbc@xxxxxxxxxx

Background

I am a lawyer practicing in Los Angeles primarily in e-commerce, software and data privacy. After spending some years as a lobbyist and then a few in law school, I started out as a finance lawyer working on complex deals for one of the largest Wall Street firms. Eventually I moved West and into e-contracting issues, becomnig first a partner in a Los Angeles corporate law firm and then general counsel to a small healthcare oriented EDI company.

I am a co-author of business process standards for the joint ebXML project and a member of its coodinating committee, a frequent apeaker and consultnt on HIPAA and EDI implementations, and current chairman of the American Bar Association's business law subcommittee on electronic commerce. I was not active in UBL (from which I gather this group emerged) but have generally followed its work.

Areas of Interest

  1. Automated business requires transactors to constrain reality to a stated model; so inaccuracies or biases in the model can radically affect the user's outcomes. What cautions should users take? Who is responsible for failures of model isomorphism or model bias?
  2. The potential for lightweight methods for augmenting data with object/relation metadata for KR and computability purposes.

< ^ >
Kurt Conrad

President
The Sagebrush Group
2994 Salem Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95051
conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(408) 247-0454

Online Bio

Background

I've come into the world of ontological engineering from my work involving SGML, XML, and the design of markup languages for knowledge representation.

I started studying and applying ontological engineering principles to my consulting since 1998. At that time, I was working on an SGML initiative that identified classes of metadata (mostly involving products and technologies) that needed to be standardized at a corporate level.

It quickly became apparent that not only did basic terminology need standardization, but that common definitions needed to be negotiated and articulated so that the controlled vocabulary could be implemented consistently across a wide variety of organizations and systems.

Personal Objectives

  • Advance understanding of mechanics and limits of ontological engineering
  • Foster an open conversation that is independent of and not subordinated to any specific commercial, technology, or standards-development initiative
  • Expand commercial opportunities

Areas of Interest

Formalization and representation:

  • The relative strengths and weaknesses of different formalization models
  • Optimal levels of formalization for different types of agents and processes
  • The practical limits of formalization and engineering

The human and social dimensions of ontological engineering:

  • The impact of ontologies (formalized or not) on such behaviors as awareness, data selection, interpretation, and decision making
  • The mechanics of conceptualization and conceptual change that occurs within individuals
  • The underlying dynamics that influence and constrain the integration of multiple individual ontologies within groups
  • Strategies for maintaining adequate alignment in the face of conceptual change

Topics for Discussion

  • What is an ontology?
  • Identifying usage patterns in natural language that point to new conceptualizations or shifting meanings for previously-defined terminology
  • Case studies
  • UBL issues and recommendations

< ^ >
Michael C. Daconta

Director, Web & Technology Services
McDonald Bradley, Inc.
mdaconta@xxxxxxx
(520)378-3708
www.mcbrad.com

Online Bio

Background

My name is Michael Daconta and I am the Chief Architect for the DIA's Virtual Knowledge Base Project. I don't have a resume online but have quite a few online articles and a few interviews. I have authored or co-authored technical books on C, C++, Java, and XML.

Personal Objectives

We are creating an IC [Intelligence Community]ontology for the VKB that unambigously describes the subjects of resources in the knowledge base. My participation in this group is to share any ideas to help improve that ontology.

  • Discover practical applications of Ontologies
  • Learn best practices for building ontologies
  • Share experience with other members

Areas of Interest

  • Ontologies, taxonomies
  • RDF Topic Maps
  • RDF, Rules
  • Java programming
  • OWL Programming APIs (specifically Java)
  • Integration with XML Documents

Topics for Discussion

  • RDF Syntax
  • The suitability of RDF as the foundation for ontologies.
  • The distinction between ontologies and topic maps (Topic Maps versus RDF/S OWL).
  • Linking to Ontologies
  • Similarity measures for linking free-text concepts to ontology classes.
  • Best Ontology editor
  • Future of Ontologies
  • ...lots more...

< ^ >
Marc de Graauw

independent consultant
Marc de Graauw IT
Amsterdam, Neatherlands
marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+31(20)6123281
www.marcdegraauw.com/

Online Bio

Background

I am Marc de Graauw , I work and live in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, as an independent IT consultant with over 14 years of experience.

I have studied Philosophy of Language and have been working in IT since 1988. I am an independent consultant since 1998 and specialize in B2B information exchange.

Personal Objectives

  • Study interoperability between diverse ontologies
  • Learn about other aspects of ontologies

Areas of Interest

My main area of interest is described in my recent XML.COM article (www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/08/21/topicmapb2b.html): interoperability between B2B vocabularies.

My focus here is on short-term working solutions for ontology interoperability, in particular enabling human business analysts to make ontology-to-ontology mappings in a quick, robust and structured manner.

I studied Philosphy of Language long ago, and so there is also a long-term general interest: the working of natural language and knowledge representation, both within and without computers.

On XML 2001 I presented a paper on the relevance of Frege and Wittgenstein for problems we encounter in contemporary B2B applications (www.marcdegraauw.com/files/whatisis.pdf). A relevant general area of interest is using computers to leverage human intelligence instead of using humans to leverage computer processing capabilities.

Topics for Discussion

Interoperability between diverse ontologies, B2B ontologies, Topic Maps, KR general issues.

< ^ >
Chris Doyle

Director of Product Managment
TIE Holding
chris.doyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
651-999-8694

Background

30 years in technical positions, from programmer to CTO. Currently Director of Product Management for TIE Holding, I am responsible for ensuring business objectives are appropriately interpreted as technical specifications for product development, and that developed product is described for and targeted to an audiance that can appreciate its application and value.

Personal Objectives

  • Practical applications of ontology as it relates to electronic messaging
  • Universal models that are commonly accepted and used

Areas of Interest

Automated messaging and intelligent adaptation (software)

< ^ >
John Hardin

EBusiness Architect
Envision
john.hardin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
314-878-4777 x 145
www.Envision.com

Online Bio

I have attached an HTML version of my resume, and you may find it online at seeker.dice.com/util/resultResume.epl?DOCKEY=3303892ef51b6122842b3db4 77c8f2dc

Background

I have been involved in mission critical internet applications design and development for 7 years, for a wide variety of purposes and vertical markets: HealthCare, Insurance, Financial, Retail, E-Marketplaces, Manufacturing, Mobile Phone/Web, and others. My experience spans both Java and Microsoft based architectures, and XML / Web Services engineering. I am currently serving as Technical Advisor to the Electronic Enterprise Working Group of the Aerspace Industries Association, and as Co-Chair of the Metadata Harmonization Project for AIA.

Areas of Interest

  • Metadata, Semantic and Ontological models, Web Services architectures
  • linkage between disparate e-business standards

Topics for Discussion

I'm open on this, I want to become more familiar with the current discussions the group is involved in.

A primary need is to identify mapping/linking schemes for data element concepts in cross-standard and cross-industry documents.

Clarify the meaning and usage of the word "Ontology" and "Ontological Behavior": An ontology is a shared vocabulary that describes a concept (in our case, a data element concept). Ontological behaviour is to provide a specification or representation of a data element concept(s).

< ^ >
Sam Hunting

President
eTopicality, Inc.
shunting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
215-413-2981
www.etopicality.com
Topic map consulting and training

Co-Founder
Gooseworks.org
www.gooseworks.org
Free open source topic map tools

Online Bio

Background

I am an "old-time" SGMLer and have been working with markup technology for over 10 years with large information owners and publishers (legal, medical, aerospace).

Recently, I've been working with Topic Maps. I am a founding member of TopicMaps.Org, which developed the XML Topic Maps (XTM) specification; a co-author of the XTM 1.0 DTD for topic maps; and a co-author of the current draft of the ISO Reference Model for topic maps. I was the technical editor of "XML Topic Maps: Creating and Maintaining Topic Maps for the Web", from Addison-Wesley.

I head a consultancy whose service offerings include topic maps, content analysis, and DTD development and co-founded of GooseWorks project for creating open source topic map tools (www.gooseworks.org).

Philosophically, I am a fan of the later Wittgenstein (the one who said that "language is a form of life"). Often, in the computer world, we mistake the "objects" that we create for living things in the real world, which is a lot more complicated and intertwingled than our objects can be. There are times when I think that the very use of the word "ontology" is an example of this.

And I believe that clear, clean prose is at the foundation of every tower of abstraction that we build. Prose has status equal, if not superior to, the concepts we throw around for a living. "Prose poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." ;-)

Personal Objectives

Understand ontologies and the ontology community.

  • Understand the language of ontologists and the concepts of ontology
  • Listen for pragmatic applications of ontologies
  • See if topic maps can be used to represent and interchange ontologies

Areas of Interest

  • Markup, topic maps, Python, open-source software, collaborative learning environments, conversation, standards, standards work, clear clean prose.
  • Can the topic map paradigm and the topic map syntax be used to make ontologies more widely distributed?
  • All things practical with ontologies. How can I use them to help customers? Especially, how can I use them to help customers by using generic, markup-based tools, and the RESTful web architecture?
  • Can ontologies become something that consumers use as tools to think with, in a collaborative environment?

< ^ >
Fook-Wai Kong

Storage Training Manager
Hewlett Packard Far East
kongfw@xxxxxxxxx

Background

Master in Education; BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with Business Studies. Presently working at HP Far East as Storage Training Manager. Working experience in ERP/MRP2 project implementation.

Personal Objectives

Did an expert system (PROLOG) project in first-aid on diagnosing victim's condition and interested in knowledge acquisition of intelligent systems. Wanted to know how XML and knowledge engineering could deploy in the area of e-learning. Would like to see how I am able to identify areas where such technology could be used in business.

< ^ >
Shiang-yu Lee , Ph. D.

Boeing Commercial Airplane Group
Architecture and eBusiness
P.O. Box 3707, M/S 2R-97
Seattle, WA 98124-2207
shiang-yu.lee@xxxxxxxxxx
(206)-544-5252
(206)-544-5889 (fax)

Background

I have involved in information standards development and implementation activities for over ten years, primarily in the ISO-10303 suite of product data standards sponsored by ISO SC4-TC184. Recently I am invovled in developing the ISO-10303-239, Product Life Cycle Support application protocol, particularly, in drafting the data model representation of logical constructs for "condition" and "condition evaluation" subjects.

Personal Objectives

To observe and help clarify foundation concepts for usable standards development.

Areas of Interest

Information modeling, information system implementation, meta-information languages.

Topics for Discussion

  1. The SC4 developed data model schema covering "expressions" for mathematical and logical structures (ISO 13584-20) www.steptools.com/sc4/archive/PLIB/13584-020.exp (The site only contains the up to date "express code" for the data model. The standards document is ISO copy righted and please inquire your own library for availability.
  2. Clarify the meaning and usage of the word "Ontology" and "Ontological Behavior"

< ^ >
Bob Miller

eBusiness Consultant
Global eXcahnge Services
robert.miller@xxxxxxx
615-371-6037

Background

I join the group as a veteran software developer (I am semi-retired), whose work experience includes 40 years experience in software development:

  • Application developement
  • Compiler & runtime development
  • Database software development (co-authored both a DBM and a DBML)
  • Code generators
  • EDI translators and other third party EDI software

I am actively involved in efforts to define EDI standards, including EDI standards based in XML syntax. Prior Chair X12C Communciations & Controls. Active participant in ebXML and X12 efofrts to define standards for use of XML to represent eBusiness transaactions.

I've found that most of my EDI colleagues do not recognize the need to systematically examine EDI artifacts, to discern an ontological framework into which such information can be collected and organized. As a result, we are paying little more than lip service to our goal of interoperability among implementations of Electronic Data Interchange.

With my reduced work schedule and commitments, I will likely be more an observer than an active participant. But note that I've not been a silent observer on any listserv to which I've subscribed, and I'm not likely to be silent on this one.

Personal Objectives

  • Improve capture of eBusiness metadata
  • Increase awareness of Ontology tools
  • Application of Ontology tools to eBusiness

Areas of Interest

Interoperability of eBusiness systems, and integration of eBusiness messages into eBusiness applications.

Topics for Discussion

  • Ontology Languages Which to use (when)
  • eBusiness metadata How best represent
  • Storing/Locating eBusiness metadata (gets into higher order metadatas)

< ^ >
Steven R. Newcomb

Consultant
Coolheads Consulting
1527 Northaven Drive
Allen, Texas 75002-1648, USA
srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1 972 359 8160
+1 972 359 0270 (fax)
www.coolheads.com

Online Bio

Background

  • Co-editor, Topic Maps standard, ISO/IEC 13250:2002
  • Co-editor, HyTime standard, ISO/IEC 10744:1997

I've been involved in Topic Maps from the beginning (1992), but my passion for self-describing information paradigms began with a very unpleasant experience in 1981. I lost the value of five years of work when Control Data Corporation changed the PLATO system, in an arbitrary and pernicious decision, in such a way as to make my interactive tutorial in sixteenth-century counterpoint unpublishable. A few weeks later, vowing never again to invest development effort in systems controlled by untrustworthy social structures (such as for-profit corporations), I learned C.

In 1986, when SGML became a standard, Charles Goldfarb and I launched a music-representation standardization effort that ultimately resulted, in 1992, in the HyTime standard. (That's a bizarre story, but much more fun than my gastric misadventure with CDC.)

So I guess I came into the knowledge-rep area by way of thinking about how to make hyperlinks self-describing, and therefore self-disqualifying.

I'm still wondering how to make serious thinking about knowledge integration self-supporting, but lately we've been having more luck with that particular problem. In my wife's (Vicky's) consulting company, Coolheads Consulting, we're doing knowledge integration work for the Internal Revenue Service. Michel Biezunski (mb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) is in charge of that project.

My recent writings (that might be interesting to participants in this forum) include:

Personal Objectives

To take Kurt Conrad's advice

Areas of Interest

You've got to be kidding. The only thing I'm *not* interested in is sweet potatoes, which I loathe and despise, especially when served with melted marshmallows.

Topics for Discussion

The privileging of some subjects over others (such as ontological subjects). I consider such privileging pernicious.

< ^ >
Bo Newman

Founder and Executive Director
KM Forum
West Richland, WA
bo.newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(509) 967-2286
www.km-form.org

Executive Director
Health Care Industry CBT Alliance
Richland, WA
bonewman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(509) 967-2286
www.HICAonline.com

Online Bio

The majority of my writing, my Knowledge Sciences Blog, and a few other misc items can be accessed via my personal home-page www.3-cities.com/~bonewman/

Background

My name is Bo Newman and I am the founder of the original Knowledge Management Forum, one of the first virtual communities of practice in the field of Knowledge Management. My personal research focuses on the dynamics of the knowledge to establish improved models for understanding the ways knowledge is developed, stored, transferred, and used within organizations.

Recent research products include; the Knowledge Management Characterization Framework (1999), Critical Alignment Path Analysis (1999), Knowledge Flow Theory and Analysis (2000, 2002), and on-going work on Long Term Knowledge Preservation. I was the co-author of the primary postgraduate course on knowledge management fundamentals at George Washington University as well as course-work on the Knowledge Management Characterization Framework. I was a contributing author to The "Handbook of Knowledge Management" to be published this month.

Personal Objectives

My over-arching goal is to strengthen the theoretical foundations for the practice. My specific interest is to examine characteristics of ontologies, the process of ontology development, issues of ontological alignment, and it we get to that point, something called trans-navigational ontologies.

I'm looking forward to some good discussions.

Areas of Interest

Knowledge Sciences (ontology, epistemology, alignment theory), Knowledge Engineering (Knowledge Flow Analysis, ontology analysis), Long-term Knowledge perpetuation, Project and Process Management.

< ^ >
Dr. Leo Obrst

Intelligent Information Management/Exploitation
The MITRE Corporation
7515 Colshire Drive, M/S W640
McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx
703-883-6770
703-883-1379 (fax)

Background

I am a senior AI scientist at the MITRE AI Center in Northern Virginia (www.mitre.org) and the technical coordinator for knowledge representation and semantics, involved in projects on context-based semantic interoperability, ontology modeling of complex decision-making, conceptual information retrieval, community metadata and semantic markup, and semantic mapping/brokering. I was recently Director of Ontological Engineering at VerticalNet.com, a department I formed to create ontologies in the product and service space to support Business-to-Business e-commerce.

My PhD is in theoretical linguistics with a concentration in formal semantics from the University of Texas-Austin. I have worked nearly 20 years in computational linguistics, knowledge representation, and in the last seven years in ontological engineering.

I am a member of the W3C Web Ontology Working Group (www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/) and the IEEE Standard Upper Ontology working group and am currently the assistant technical editor for one proposed standard upper ontology candidate, the Information Flow Framework (suo.ieee.org/). In addition, I participate in the OntoWeb network (www.ontoweb.org/index.htm).

My general research interests include formal models, the semantics and pragmatics of natural language, ontology representation and reasoning, the Semantic Web, constraint and logic programming, intelligent agents, and category theory. I am currently most interested in the formalization of context for ontology mapping and integration, and semantic mapping methods.

Some recent or forthcoming publications:

  • The Semantic Web: The Future of XML, Web Services, and Knowledge Management [Book], forthcoming, 2003.
  • Obrst, L., H. Liu, R. Wray, L. Wilson. 2002. Ontologies for Semantically Interoperable Electronic Commerce. In the Proceedings of ICEIMT’02, International Conference on Enterprise Modelling and Enterprise Integration Technologies (ICEIMT), and the Conference of the EI3-IC Initiative (Enterprise Inter- and Intra-Organisational Integration ­ International Consensus), Valencia, Spain, April 24-26, 2002, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
  • Obrst, L., R. Wray, H. Liu. Ontological Engineering for B2B E-Commerce. In the Proceedings of The Second International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems, October 17-19, 2001, Ogunquit, ME. www.fois.org/fois-2001/index.html
  • Obrst, L., H. Liu. Knowledge Representation, Ontological Engineering, and Topic Maps, chapter in XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web, Jack Park, ed., Addison-Wesley, 2003 (available July, 2002).
  • Obrst, L., P. Carbone. Situating Knowledge Management on the Interpretation Continuum, AAAI Spring Symposium on Bringing Knowledge to Business Processes, April, 2000, Stanford University.
  • Tyler, J., L. Obrst, D. Pack, E. Peterson. Knowledge-Based Agents for C2 Decision Support, September 14-16, 1999, Simulation Interoperability Workshop, Fall, 1999, Orlando, Fl.
  • Obrst, L., E. Peterson, J. Tyler. Ontologies and Complex Command and Control Decision-making Behavior Modeling, AAAI Workshop on Ontology Management, Orlando, FL, July 19, 1999.
  • Obrst, L., G. Whittaker, A. Meng. Semantic Context for Object Exchange, AAAI Workshop on Context in AAI Applications, Orlando, FL, July 19, 1999.
  • Obrst, L., G. Whittaker, A. Meng. Semantic Interoperability via Context Interpretation, submitted to Context-99, Trento, Italy, April, 1999, invited poster session.
  • Smith, K., L. Obrst. Unpacking The Semantics of Source and Usage To Achieve Semantic Reconciliation In Large-Scale Information Systems, SIGMOD special issue on Semantic Interoperability, March, 1999, A. Sheth & A. Ouksel, eds.

< ^ >
Victor Pawley

(Australian) National Office for the Information Economy

Background

Working with Australian government and industry on a number of projects to facilitate interoperability, including a pilot ebXMLrr and an ebXML integration toolkit/module targeting small business software community.

Topics for Discussion

Practical plans/strategies for promoting and rolling-out UBL to small businesses and their support communities. How do we turn abstract B2B concepts (eg. ontology, isomorphism) into a practical introduction for these groups, to get them to make a substantial culture change?

< ^ >
Adam Pease

apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Online Bio

Background

My group works in logic and knowledge based systems.

Our focus currently is on the Suggested Upper Merged Ontology ontology.teknowledge.com: a free, formal upper ontology, expressed in first order logic, and in DAML. It has been mapped to all the WordNet nouns and verbs, several free domain-specific ontologies have been created from it, an open-source browser is available and format files supplied with the browser allow logic statements to be presented in both English and Czech as well as logic. SUMO has also been subjected to formal consistency checking with first order logic theorem provers.

Personal Objectives

I'm interested in applying ontology to real-world applications and working with a group of people on common ontology content so application ontologies are reusable.

Areas of Interest

Formal ontology content, and it's application

Topics for Discussion

What are particular domain ontology content needs that people have?

< ^ >
Wendell Piez

Consultant
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
17 West Jefferson Street
Suite 207
Rockville, MD 20850
wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
301/315-9635
301/315-9631 (switchboard)
301/315-8285 (fax)
www.mulberrytech.com

Online Bio

Background

BA in Classics (Ancient Greek, 1984); Ph.D. in English (1991); working with markup technologies since 1994.

Although mindful, in general, of the pivotal importance of work on ontologies, and interested, in principle, in its progress, I have hesitated to post to this list out of a lack of confidence in my experience and authority in this area. I come from a rather different background from many of you (though possibly not all): originally I was trained in Classical Philology and Poetics, and turned from that to get a Ph.D. in English (literature and critical theory), which I received in 1991. Since 1994 or so I have been working with markup technologies (SGML, XML, XSLT), especially in their applications to publishing and to other uses particularly of interest to humanists (such as textual analysis and hypermedia). Since 1998 I have been at Mulberry Technologies, a small but active firm in the markup languages industry. Our work for clients includes both design and design-related services, and "softer" work helping to plan and make transitions, including providing training, independent design reviews, vendor-neutral advice on implementation, and so forth.

So although this has given me (so far) little exposure to formal ontologies as such, the work I have done may be as near to them as might be without being actually among them. I confess this may make me something of a skeptic, since I tend to be fairly demanding in my assessment both of the practical aspects (the hands-on problems) and of the philosophical assumptions built into any technological approach to a problem. Nevertheless I hope to be an open-minded and forward-looking skeptic: without feeling able to say more, I can certainly assert that ontologies address one of the core problems in information processing, and that many of the visionary ideas now circulating will be impossible without robust and well-managed ontological frameworks.

Readers of this list may be interested in a couple of papers I've written on some of the theoretical problems facing markup language designers: please see www.piez.org/wendell/critique.htmor www.idealliance.org/papers/extreme02/authors.html(under "Piez", naturally).

Personal Objectives

Tracking/observation

Areas of Interest

Markup language design; interface design; see lmnl.org for more cool stuff.

< ^ >
Joe Rudnicki

Senior Computer Scientist & Naval Architect
CSC Advanced Marine Center
rudnickijg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Background

  • Bachelor of Science, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (Ship Design), Webb Institute
  • Masters of Science, Computer Science, The Johns Hopkins University
  • Employed by CSC Advanced Marine Center in Washington, DC, USA
  • Provide support for the U.S. Department Of the Navy Member of OASIS WSRP TC

Personal Objectives

  • I hope to keep an eye on what's happening in the Ontology area

< ^ >
Vladimir Rykov

Professor
MIPT (Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology)
rykov-mtd@xxxxxxxx
+7-903-749-19-99 - any time

Online Bio

Background

I am IT engineer. Got my diploma in 1971 at Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT - www.mipt.ru - there's Engl version). Then I shifted to Computational Linguistics and got my PhD in 1986 in Moscow State University. Now I read lectures in Computational Linguistics and Knowledge Management back in MIPT, take part in various info projects - mostly in NLP and Business Intelligence.

Personal Objectives

  • upgrade my competence level in Business Intelligence
  • upgrade my competence level in ontology related domains

Areas of Interest

Computational Linguistics, Semiotics, Business Intelligence, Ontology

Topics for Discussion

  • Ontology-RDF relation
  • Ontology-RDF-Prolog relation
  • DB mapping ontology
  • meta data mapping ontology
  • meta ontology

< ^ >
Andrew Schain

Manger, IT Engineering
NASA
andrew.schain@xxxxxxxx
202-358-0066

Background

Responsible for information system engineering and architecture projects at NASA Headquarters and participates in many NASA information systems projects.

Personal Objectives

  • Rendering data elements as knowledge
  • Management of extreemly large data sets
  • Knowledge distribution across geo-political boundries

Areas of Interest

Networks, privacy, knowledge structures

< ^ >
Ron Schuldt

Senior Staff Systems Architect
Lockheed Martin Enterprise Information Systems
11757 W. Ken Caryl Ave.
#F521 Mail Point DC5694
Littleton, CO 80127
ron.l.schuldt@xxxxxxxx
303-977-1414

Background

  • M.S. - Facilities Management 1978
  • B.S. - Mechanical Engineering 1972
  • Active Duty Air Force - Officer 1972-1981
  • Martin Marietta (now known as Lockheed Martin) - Systems Engineer 1981-1989 - Information Systems Systems Engineer (Data Standards Consultant) 1989-present
  • Co-Chairman of the Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) Electronic Enterprise Working Group (EEWG)
  • Chair of the AIA Metadata Harmonization Project - a major project within the AIA EEWG
  • Previously - Chair of the CALS effort that developed the Universal Data Element Framework (UDEF)

Areas of Interest

My interest in this subject is driven by the belief that the Universal Data Element Framework (UDEF) could be applied to the Ontology discussion and perhaps become the foundation for the Semantic Web. Although many might question the notion that any single framework could be robust enough to handle any data of interest to any enterprise, that is the claim that I make and I welcome the opportunity to demonstrate/prove it.

A brief glimpse of the UDEF can be obtained from www.udef.com/

In addition, the attached briefing provides a UDEF Primer (ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2002-10/ppt00000.ppt). The Primer was used to conduct UDEF training within the Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) Metadata Harmonization Project.

< ^ >
Norma Slattery

Lead Multi-disciplined System Eng.
The MITRE Corp.
nslatter@xxxxxxxxx
703-883-7491

Doctoral Student
George Mason University, School of Info Tech and Engineering (SITE)
Fairfax, Virginia

Background

I've worked for MITRE Corp (a not-for-profit corporation working in the interest of the American public) more in the systems analysis and project management areas than in technical development--the fun stuff.

Currently, I am also a doctoral student at George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia.

My dissertation is in the area of metrics of ontology developments that will support identification of quantifiable and qualitative benefits and costs of ontologies.

  • What does it cost to develop an ontology?
  • What are the cost drivers of an ontological development?
  • What are the benefits of ontology-based systems?
  • How do we validate an ontologies integrity to ensure accuracy?
  • Etc.

In other words, I'm looking at ontology developments from a program manager's and/or decision maker's perspective. Any metrics or data information anyone has would be greatly appreciated and also, would be kept confidentially.

Personal Objectives

  • Identification of lifecycle process for developing ontology-based systems
  • Identification of metrics that provide information on how well an Ontology-based system will support system requirements
  • Identification of quantified and qualified benefits and costs of using ontologies in systems

Areas of Interest

  • Lifecycle process for incorporating ontologies into system developments.
  • Metrics, benefits, and costs of using ontologies in support of decision making

Topics for Discussion

  • Processes for developing ontologies especially within the context of a larger system
  • Metrics that provide insight into an ontology-based systems integrity, capabilities, usability, maintainability, etc.
  • Quantifiable and qualitative benefits and costs of developing ontology-based systems
  • Decision points relative to ontology development
  • Approaches for discerning which level of the Obrst Ontology Spectrum might best suit a specific application of ontology-based systems

< ^ >
Bob Smith , Ph. D.

Professor Emeritus
Cal State University

Semantic Projects
Tall Tree Labs - SemTalk USA
robsmith5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
714 536 1084

Background

Ph.D., UCI; Professor Emeritus, California State University (LB); Chair, AI and Expert Systems Council- CSU; Organizational modeling; "Intelligent" IT Audits; Crises Response Systems.

My background involves 30 years as a University Professor in Management Science-Ops Research, AI, Expert Systems, HazMat Response, business strategy, and the many legal economic issues in software engineering.

The vision of an intelligent web service as a strategic support element for small and medium sized business is compelling. Actions expanding this vision demand attention and project execution.

Personal Objectives

  • Interested in roles that Semantic Web technologies can play in making effective and transparent interorganizational and intraorganizational decision making
  • Balanced external economies and price structures

Areas of Interest

Collaborative technologies and visualization tools to achieve a balance of Goals 1,2, & 3 above

Topics for Discussion

  • Repository structures and policies for Large, Medium, Small sized organizations
  • Price-Performance-Investment issues for the "top ten" Ontological Tools listed in Denny's XML Survey
  • Technology Choices Roadmap of next 4 years related to Semantic Web based technologies
  • Metrics for organizational workflow ontology studies
  • Comparison of Active vs Observer Obligations

< ^ >
Kevin T. Smith

Chief Security Architect
kevintsmith@xxxxxxxxx

Background

I am Kevin T. Smith, and I am the Chief Security Architect of the DIA's Virtual Knowledge Base Project.. I don't have a resume online, but have authored a few books on XML and Java, have spoken at technical conferences (JavaOne), and am currently co-authoring a book on the Semantic Web with Mike Daconta and Leo Obrst.

Personal Objectives

We are creating an ontology for our project that unambigously describes resources in the Virtual Knowledge Base. Most of my work is security-focused, controlling how information in the knowledge base can be accessed, and describing the security requirements of data sources in the registry.

Areas of Interest

Web Services Security, Java Programming, XML

Topics for Discussion

  • The mapping of security requirements/info in an ontology
  • Ontology-driven registries for web services

< ^ >
Shel Sutton

Principle Information Systems Engineer
MITRE Corporation
shel@xxxxxxxxx

Background

I am an Principal Information Systems Engineer with the MITRE Corporation with over 30 years experience. My experience is broad, having supported US government agencies ranging from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), National Cancer Institute, and Department of Defense and associated agencies. Currently I am supporting the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) in activities supporting their mission relative to Homeland Security.

Personal Objectives

I hope to gain a better understanding of ontologies and how they can be used in the information systems that will evolve to support "first responders" and those that support them in training, planning, and responding to crises, both natural and man-made.

< ^ >
Andy Tan

Director
Intrinix Networks Pte Ltd
25 Serangoon North Ave 5
#05-01A Keppel Digihub
Singapore 554914
andytan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(65)64847321/(65)64847322
(65)64842713 (fax)
www.intrinix.com

Background

I am the founder of Intrinix Networks. Intrinix Networks provides e-business application development services. I have been in software development for over 17 years and has successfully implemented many projects over the years. I have been focusing on Internet related software development since 1997. My business contact information is provided below. I am also an exco member of the XMLOne User Group (www.xmlone.org). XMLone.org is a non-profit organization supported by the technology companies, government board, developers and professionals from the business Community. We are the organizer of XMLAsia conference held annually in Singapore.

Personal Objectives

Since I am new to the field of Ontology, I am joining as an observer and hope to participate actively in the later stage.

Areas of Interest

I have startup a special interest group to focus on applying XML and its complimentary standards in SCM applications. The purpose of this XML-SCM, Special Interest Group is to provide a forum for companies and individual to meet and discuss about technical issues and other related subject regarding XML and its application in the area of supply chain management. My area of interest is to explore XML and its complementary standards in B2B applications. I am actively promoting the use of XML in data exchange.

< ^
Peter P. Yim

President & CEO
CIM Engineering, Inc.
yimpp@xxxxxxxxxxx
650-578-9998

Online Bio

My bio can be found at www.cim-oem.com/ppybio.html

Background

I founded CIM Engineering (in 1984) and is still operating it -- doing business as CIM3.COM/.NET/.ORG We provide infrastructure and professional services to communities of practice, and to high performance project team, while keeping an "open knowledge" profile. I'm a member of the OASIS UBL TC and one of the co-conveners of this forum

Personal Objectives

  • I still believe in dreams and in collective abilities to make a difference.
  • I hope to see that this forum will make significant contribution to bridge the gap between today's business transaction processing needs and the future when the semantic web becomes pervasive.

Areas of Interest

Collaboration processes and technology, and to carry on the "Bootstrap" mission that Doug Engelbart had started back in the 1960's. (see www.bootstrap.org/ba/index.jsp#nid01)

Topics for Discussion

While we shall continue to hold online discussions and address issues that fall within our charter ontolog.cim3.org/forums/ontolog/0209/msg00000.html#nid03, may I suggest that the group consider going through the following motions in short order. It's wonderful that part of that process has already begun.

  1. Get people to know one another
  2. Collate participants wishes and desires
  3. Adopt our charter
  4. Adopt an initial set of objectives and work up an agenda
  5. Get organized
  6. Put together an action plan
  7. Start doing some real work

Since we are just starting with a charter membership at this point, this is the best time to really get involved. This way, we can all influence the direction and approach of this community as a whole.

Updated on 2003.03.04

Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-admin/
Community Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/