RE: [ontolog] Request for Input

To: <ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Dean Black" <dblack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:09:19 -0800
My quick intro:    (01)

I'm a system modeler and database consultant in Portland, Oregon.  I spend a
lot of time trying to figure out how to raise the awareness of the
importance of language within businesses.  I think that one of the main
reasons IT has been a disappointment to businesses over the last 40 years is
because far too many folks are focused on TECHNOLOGY (hence the name IT) and
failing to realize that systems are really all about language.  Until we
make strides promoting more universal language, we're going to continue to
be disappointed by what we get out of our systems.    (02)

Also, it seems like systems keep modeling variations of the same concepts
over and over again.  Let's cut out all of this rework and develop universal
models that are commonly accepted and used.    (03)

Those are my interests and why the forum caught my eye.  I'm not too sure
what I have to offer, but I thought I'd come along and observe and learn and
try to stay up to date with where this kind of thing is heading.  Who knows?
Even if we can never get people to understand each other 100%, maybe
machines will be able to speak semantically pure and therefore they can be
our salvation-- by cutting fallable humans (and their misunderstandings) out
of the information loop!  :)    (04)