RE: [ontolog] Welcome to new members

To: "'ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chan, Sally M" <sally.m.chan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:35:57 -0700
    - Provide a brief description of your background
      My bio is published in Diversity Careers Magazine Sept,2000.
      (scroll down to the middle of the article to read my bio)    (01)

http://www.diversitycareers.com/articles/pro/aug-sept-00/asianameng.htm    (02)

    - Describe the personal goals and objectives that are
      driving your participation in Ontolog
      My responsibility at Boeing is in the area of XML Data Interchange
      which enables system interoperability and eBusiness.
      I participate in several standards groups, in particular,  I use the
Boeing
      example to prove out the standards work and recommend improvements:
      ebXML, UNCEFACT - Prove ebXML architecture, define standard
                                      business process (BP), and core
components (CC)
                                      supporting the business process.
                                      common BP & CC in public registry for
reuse
                                      across industry. Boeing example
documents
                                      is publicly available.    (03)

      OASIS-UBL - Define standard eBusiness documents by reusing ebXML
                          core components. Have completed purchase order and
purchase
                          order response documents.  Available from OASIS
UBL site.
                          An example from Boeing is in work, available in
Nov.    (04)

       OAG (Open Application Group) - provides a set of XML documents.
Boeing
                                                       contributes to the
OAG extensions white
                                                       paper, it is
available from OAG site.    (05)

       AIA (Aerospace Industry Association) - moving towards XML.  Applying
UDEF
                                                                to solve the
interoperability problem
                                                                between
different data element names
                                                                from
different standards.    (06)

       ATA (Air Transportation Association) - moving towards XML. ATA XML is
used
                                                               in the Boeing
ebXML example above.    (07)

    - List your areas of interest
      To achieve interoperability, there needs to be a "SINGLE"
      standard, however,  XML language is so flexible, every
      standards group creates their own.  Developers needs
      to continue mapping to yet to another "standard".  Can
      we apply ontology to align the different yet similar data
      elements defined in these standards?      (08)

    - List any ideas that you have for discussion topics
      1) The relationship and difference in ontolog, top maps, semantic
      web.
      2) For system interoperability, the focus is on data elements,
      what is the right approach?
      3) For document centric application, the focus is content,
      what is the right approach?    (09)

Regards,    (010)

Sally Chan
Associate Technical Fellow
The Boeing Company
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
IS - Architecture & eBusiness
206-544-7488  <--- New    (011)

--
To post messages mailto:ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
An archive of the [ontolog] forum can be found