Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Schiffel, Jeffrey A" <jeffrey.a.schiffel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:18:01 -0500

Leo J.Obrst wrote:
> > This sounds like John Cage's 4'33", and is legitimate. I
> "heard" it at
> > Oberlin College in the late 60s.    (01)

Chris Menzel replied:
> Surely you don't want those scare quotes, Leo!  Seems to me
> you heard Cage's piece in exactly the same sense in which
> you'd have heard a Bach partita.    (02)

Oddly, I also heard it at Oberlin in the late 60s. By that time, John
Cage had moved from being an avant-garde composer into philosophy of
music.    (03)

Clearly, there was nothing to hear for 4'33". While the undergrads were
intrigued, most everyone else thought it a little silly, and performance
art rather than musical art.     (04)

-- Jeff Schiffel    (05)