Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:43:36 -0400
Jeff,    (01)

If you want to formulate fine distinctions, every person has a
distinct idiolect, which changes with time, audience, and purpose.
Similarly, written language is distinct from spoken language,
but it can be converted to spoken language by reading it aloud.
However, a good actor can read something in a way that is often
better than it was intended by the author.    (02)

JFS>> The pragmatics, of course, is how the sheet is supposed to be
 >> interpreted by a performer.    (03)

JAS> Not quite. The pragmatics is how the sheet music is in fact
 > performed.  It is almost never clear from spots on a page how
 > the music is to sound.    (04)

As I said in previous messages, the terms 'syntax', 'semantics',
and 'pragmatics' are watered-down versions of Peirce's semiotics.    (05)

CSP actually made very precise distinctions about the 'interpretant'
of a sign as intended by the speaker (or person who wrote, drew,
built, arranged, sculpted, etc.) and 'interpretant' by the listener
(or the one who views, feels, smells, tastes, etc.) the sign.    (06)

CSP was very clear about the fact that the speaker and listener
can interpret the same sign in very different ways -- and
sometimes the interpreter may have a much more elaborate
interpretation than the one who generated the sign.    (07)