Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:16:07 -0700

On 9/5/07 8:44 AM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Duane,
>
> Sheet music is *not* music.  It is a written language,
> which has a very definite syntax, semantics, and pragmatics.
> The pragmatics, of course, is how the sheet is supposed to
> be interpreted by a performer.    (02)

You are correct.  Music is only music when it creates sound waves.

> In fact, you could even give it a model-theoretic semantics
> in Tarski's sense.  A given written section can be evaluated
> to True or False about a given performance, and occasional
> lapses can be explicitly flagged as "incorrect".    (03)

There are things that sheet music cannot capture.  Blues guitarists can play
with aspects like "conviction" which cannot really be captured.  What makes
a great performance (in my context) is the performers own interpretation of
the piece.  While some virtuosos (spelling???) can perform a complex piece
technically correct,it can lack a certain "feel".  That feel combined with
technical correctness is what speaks to me as a classically trained
musician.  Emotion is an important aspect IMO.    (04)

> John

>      (05)

"Speaking only for myself"
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com