Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Schiffel, Jeffrey A" <jeffrey.a.schiffel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:53:04 -0500
John Sowa wrote:

> Sheet music is *not* music.  It is a written language, which
> has a very definite syntax, semantics, and pragmatics.    (01)

Agreed. But then, is a book language? It is also written, but is
intended to reflect a spoken language.    (02)

> The pragmatics, of course, is how the sheet is supposed to be
> interpreted by a performer.    (03)

Not quite. The pragmatics is how the sheet music is in fact performed.
It is almost never clear from spots on a page how the music is to sound.
Two performers may have very different interpretations of the same piece
of notated music. (My viewpoint comes from the "context" side of the
discussion. In this, I agree that "context" is thrown around too easily.
My viewpoint is that cultural interpretations form pragmatics.)     (04)

-- Jeff Schiffel    (05)