Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 10:48:56 -0700
I've noted of late that Ontology, semantics and philosophy seem to be
inseparable.      (01)

My take:    (02)

The tree makes the sound *if* sound is defined as perceptable (audible)
waves of pressure.  Music exists/does not exist only if there is a
definition which supports some quantitative metric for its' being.    (03)

I would support direct neural stimulation as music.  Music is also highly
subjective.  Some would not consider silence music however there are
examples of music where silence can be used to punctuate non-silence.  In
extreme cases, this can last up to 1.5 years    (04)

http://list.mail.virginia.edu/pipermail/silence/2006-January/001822.html    (05)

(Not sure if this is real or hoax).  The longest actual acknowledged silence
in a compelted musical work was a concert in Woodstock, New York. David
Tudor ( an experimental artist) took the stage, bowed to the audience, sat
down at the piano, opened the score - and did not touch the keys for 4
minutes and 33 seconds, stood up, bowed again and left the stage to
thunderous applause.    (06)

Reminds me of a famous quote by one of my favorite metnors:    (07)

"Ever get the feeling you've been ripped off?".    (08)

Duane
(quote by John Lydon, Sex Pistols)    (09)

On 9/5/07 9:32 AM, "Randall R Schulz" <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (010)

> On Wednesday 05 September 2007 09:16, Duane Nickull wrote:
>> On 9/5/07 8:44 AM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Duane,
>>>
>>> Sheet music is *not* music.  It is a written language,
>>> which has a very definite syntax, semantics, and pragmatics.
>>> The pragmatics, of course, is how the sheet is supposed to
>>> be interpreted by a performer.
>>
>> You are correct.  Music is only music when it creates sound waves.
>
> Hmmm... I don't buy the "if a tree falls in the woods ..." bit, but in
> this case, music is only music in a perceiving human's mind.
>
> In fact, I'm inclined to believe that some day we really will figure out
> how to directly stimulate sensory neurons in a sufficiently precise,
> detailed and complete way that totally internal "virtual reality" will
> be possible. Then a person could experience music in the absence of the
> pressure waves we call "sound."
>

> Randall Schulz

>      (011)

"Speaking only for myself"