Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of Art

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:59:05 +0300

I see some misunderstanding with the structure and compass of semiotics and
the role of the context in meaning.    (01)

As for the elements of semiotics and their relationships, I concur with John
that no syntax, no semantics; no semantics, no pragmatics. Or, syntax
generates meanings as much as meanings determine pragmatical things.
Let's take a provocative example of music proposed by Jerry. According to
the new domain of cognitive neuroscience, the neurocognition of music, its
processing (perception and production) by the human brain is done by the
cognitive mechanisms in overlapping cerebral structures as involved in
language (speech) perception and generation. There is nothing specific in
processing musical syntax (regularities of tones) and musical semantics
(sound patterns). For music, as a form of art, is auditory representation of
reality by its special means and medium, or a system of signs (sounds,
tones, notes, symbols) with assigned meanings, as any form of art.
Shortly, syntax (regularities of musical tones with their duration, melodic,
rhythmic and metric and harmony) forms meaningful musical phrases
(compositions), i.e. musical semantics. Now, as far as pragmatics consists
in the way by which an agent assigns a significance to a sign (tone), its
idiosyncratic interpretation or reading of musical meanings by the
performer, creating a certain effect upon the audience, constitutes the
pragmatic aspect. To adjust the topic to the subject of the forum, it would
be good to discuss that issue in the wider context of the Ontology of Art,
the reason why i allowed myself to change the name of the thread.    (02)

Re. Context, its role in semantics is undervalued by Pat. Since there is no
meaning (intension or extension) without context, or universe of discourse,
possible worlds, circumstances, formally presented as the linguistic context
of use, or closed context (Boolean algebra), theory, or consistent theory,
formal (mathematical or logical) or factual (historical, social, physical,
etc).  We say the historical context, logical context, biological context,
or ontological context. So, the full meaning (intension or extension) of any
construct, or the significance of the symbolism of the construct, is always
defined within a context. For the meaning of a construct is uncovered by
examining its reference class (the totality of individuals) and the
theoretical context (the totality of logical relatives of the construct in
the context, a set of conceptions within the theory implying and implied by
the construct).
Only one entity seems to be out of the context, the world itself, thus
making the maximum context, covered by the universal ontology.    (03)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (04)

 > No.  You cannot do pragmatics without having syntax and semantics.
 >
 > It's impossible to say anything without syntax.  It's impossible
 > to refer to anything without semantics.  And it's impossible to
 > do anything pragmatically without being able to make statements
 > (syntax) that refer to something (semantics).    (05)

Syntax is about how symbols combine, so atomic symbols can have
semantics without syntax.  For example, a red flag with a white
diagonal means there's a scuba diver below.  That's its semantics.
But neither the red background nor the white diagonal mean anything by
itself (just as the d, o, and g of "dog" mean nothing by
themselves); so there's no syntax.  There can also be pragmatics; the
symbol is often used, e.g., as bumper stickers, to announce oneself as
a scuba diver.    (06)

A more elaborate example is protolanguage, where there is simply a
sequence of symbols and it's up to the hearer to figure out what the
relations between their meanings are.  An example is the language of
panic: "Help!  Collapsed!  Alex!  911!  Quick!"  There's no syntax;
any order would convey the same thing.    (07)

Is music an example of syntax and pragmatics without semantics?    (08)

-- Jerry    (09)