Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:32:49 -0700
On Wednesday 05 September 2007 09:16, Duane Nickull wrote:
> On 9/5/07 8:44 AM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Duane,
> >
> > Sheet music is *not* music.  It is a written language,
> > which has a very definite syntax, semantics, and pragmatics.
> > The pragmatics, of course, is how the sheet is supposed to
> > be interpreted by a performer.
>
> You are correct.  Music is only music when it creates sound waves.    (01)

Hmmm... I don't buy the "if a tree falls in the woods ..." bit, but in
this case, music is only music in a perceiving human's mind.    (02)

In fact, I'm inclined to believe that some day we really will figure out
how to directly stimulate sensory neurons in a sufficiently precise,
detailed and complete way that totally internal "virtual reality" will
be possible. Then a person could experience music in the absence of the
pressure waves we call "sound."    (03)

Randall Schulz    (04)