Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:54:06 -0400
Fabian,    (01)

There is no difference in principle:    (02)

 > Socrates' solution might have worked in ancient Athens, but we
 > are not living in a small polis.    (03)

All the confusions and complexities were present then as now,
and the basic principle of drawing a distinction was just as
applicable then as now.    (04)

 > In short, we can agree on a sophisticated  definition of "semantics",
 > but that does not change the fact that many more people would use
 > "semantics" differently, often as an empty buzzword.    (05)

It does not matter whether there are 40,000 users or 400 million.
The problems and the solutions are identical in principle, and only
slightly different in execution.    (06)

 > Thus I agree with you that it is best to avoid the term.    (07)

I didn't say to avoid it completely, but to add a qualifier if
necessary.    (08)

 > Alas, since it is so widely used that this is hardly possible;
 > so we have to live with it.    (09)

The way other people use a word is their choice, not yours or mine.    (010)

I agree that it is hard to change how other people use language.
Socrates tried, and he was killed for it.  That's not much
different from what is happening today.    (011)

But you have complete control over the way you use language, and
that was what I was recommending.  Start by making your language
precise, and let other people do what they like.    (012)