Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:16:47 -0400
Fabian,    (01)

Both of those points are only partly true, and the issues involved
were dealt with very well by Socrates:    (02)

 > "As you know, you communicate with the terms you have, not the
 > terms you might want or wish to have at a later time."
 >
 > Thus, for now we are stuck with "semantics", and as long as the W3
 > consortium pushes for the 'semantic web', the word is not going
 > to go away.    (03)

The solution is simple:  whenever there is a confusion of terms, you
solve the problem by drawing a distinction.  Although coining a new
word often creates more problems than it solves, there is a much
simpler solution:  just add an adjective in front of it:    (04)

   lexical semantics -- the approach commonly used by lexicographers.    (05)

   model-theoretic semantics -- the approach used by logicians.    (06)

And so forth for as many distinctions as anyone may care to make.    (07)

As far as the Semantic Web is concerned, the word 'semantics' only
occurs as an adjective.  Therefore, it is first and foremost a web,
and only secondarily a kind of web that is in some unstated way
related to some version of semantics.    (08)