Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 23:39:09 -0400
Leo,    (01)

I agree that such developments have occurred:    (02)

 > ... so far semantics and pragmatics are more like localized poles:
 > it's more over here, it's more over there.  There are as yet no
 > hard differentiations. Maybe there are intermediate points,
 > which will grow into semi-independent sciences.    (03)

For that reason, I very rarely use the words 'semantics', 'pragmatics',
or the even broader word 'meaning'.  If anything, I would prefer to
use the word 'meaning' in an informal discussion -- primarily because
it doesn't sound like a technical term that is expected to be precise.    (04)

I got involved with the recent discussion because it was getting bogged
down, and I tried to draw a clearer distinction among the terms that
were being bandied about.    (05)

In my own writing, I avoid using words that have become too far degraded
(except when citing or quoting other people's examples).    (06)