Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:04:47 -0400
Jeff et al.,    (01)

I can believe that one can hear a bar of silence in contrast
to music.  That is comparable to "seeing" a hole in a solid
bar.  But if you remove the surrounding sound or solid, the
contrast vanishes.  Therefore, the contrasting hole or silence
could not be perceived.    (02)

 > In Wichita, the hall reverberates a quarter tone low.    (03)

I find that hard to believe.  There are several ways of
distorting sound, either electronically or mechanically:    (04)

  1. Shift the phase of the sound wave (i.e. delaying it
     by means of an echo or a short-term storage mechanism).    (05)

  2. Amplifying or damping some frequencies more or less
     than others.    (06)

  3. Creating overtones that are some integral multiple
     or submultiple of the incoming sounds.    (07)

But a shift of a frequency, even a quarter tone, is
*extremely* difficult to do without very sophisticated
equipment.  I do not believe that any music hall could
accomplish that transformation by ordinary acoustic means.    (08)

For example, suppose the incoming frequency f was X Hertz
and the outgoing frequency was X-y Hertz.  That would
imply that y vibrations per second were somehow "lost"
or, even worse, "stored" for future transmission.    (09)

That is an extremely complicated nonlinear transformation.
You could accomplish it by recording the sound and later
playing it back with a slower turntable or the equivalent
in electronics.  But I don't believe a typical music hall
could do that.    (010)