Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer pizza (was ckae)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:54:14 -0700
As this conversation is now reverberating, punctuated by periods of silence,
perhaps we should visit wikipedia to try and end this.  Wikipedia defines
reverberation as follows:    (01)

" Reverberation is the persistence of sound in a particular space after the
original sound is removed. When sound is produced in a space, a large number
of echoes build up and then slowly decay as the sound is absorbed by the
walls and air, creating reverberation, or reverb. This is most noticeable
when the sound source stops but the reflections continue, decreasing in
amplitude, until they can no longer be heard. Large chambers, especially
such as cathedrals, gymnasiums, indoor swimming pools, large caves, etc.,
are examples of spaces where the reverberation time is long and can clearly
be heard."    (02)

This article and others do not mention any wave length shift, therefore I
would logically submit that reverberation itself is not responsible for the
frequency shift.  Tonal modulation due to some analog shift in wave forms is
a much more likely candidate:    (03)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation_%28music%29    (04)

Enough on this from me ;-)    (05)

Duane    (06)

On 9/6/07 2:38 PM, "Randall R Schulz" <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (07)

> On Thursday 06 September 2007 14:15, Schiffel, Jeffrey A wrote:
>> The walls consist of half-circular columns, floor to ceiling.
>> Compared to other halls, the walls are hard and reflective. Sound is
>> reflected in many directions.
>
> Outside of anechoic chambers, that's always true. But nothing about
> static geometry can change the pitch of sound. Least of all when the
> surfaces are inelastic. John was right. It is inherently a non-linear
> process. Simple hard surfaces can hardly be expected to exhibit such
> active characteristics, regardless of their shape.
>

>> The trained ear hears reverberation a quarter tone tone low. I doubt
>> it is a pschological phenomenon.
>
> All I can say is: Prove it! Prove it using non-human sound-generating
> and measuring instruments.
>

>> -- Jeff
>

> Randall Schulz

>      (08)