Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF vs. EAR

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 14:46:36 -0500
On 12/7/11 2:12 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
> Of course, but I don't see the relevance.  I don't see XSLT being used
> for SemWeb applications, but I don't see Javascript or Python or Ruby or
> C# being used extensively for such applications either.  Those languages
> are nonetheless often preferred for "web applications" and browser
> plug-ins.  Conversely, with the possible exception of C#, I wouldn't use
> any of them by choice to implement simple message and file
> transformations.  Match the tool to the job.
Along the lines above, here is a problem we had to address where XML and
XSLT were (and remain) the only viable options.    (01)

Problem:
Simplifying Linked Data generation for a Web dominated by Web 2.0 APIs.
The means, ingesting data from these data spaces in batch mode or as
part of a normal web page interaction pattern.    (02)

Situation Analysis:
Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, Twitter, Amazon, eBay, Crunchbase, and many
others all publish APIs. A majority remain XML based, some have started
offering JSON too, alongside XML, but rarely as the sole option. They
all produce EAV graphs without necessarily knowing it and serialize in
XML or JSON. Naturally, their app/service schemas vary.    (03)

Solution:
Use XML and XSLT to handle the transformation en route to outputting
Linked Data resources that are fully compliant with the rules for
InterWeb scale publication. By this I mean a pipeline that results in
the following:    (04)

1. every data object has an unique identifier that serves the role of
name/handle;
2. these identifiers resolve to actual data object locations;
3. actual data objects consist of eav/spo triples;
4. were possible lookup other data spaces (like the burgeoning LOD cloud
and a plethora of Web 2.0 space) and then extend the initially generated
data objects with relations to others data objects.    (05)

This is how our Linked Data middleware works to this very day across
private or the public networks e.g.,  InterWeb.    (06)

Links:    (07)

1. http://uriburner.com
2. http://uriburner.com/sponger_architecture.vsp#how_it_works -- how the
sponger works    (08)

As they say in the UK: "horses for courses" . Everything is useful and
useless in some context.    (09)

--     (010)

Regards,    (011)

Kingsley Idehen