Re: [ontolog-forum] NLP Dealing with metaphor [was: RDF vs. EAR]

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:14:18 -0500
Doug,    (01)

I agree with what you say.  The only point I was trying to make
is that current NLP systems can't handle metaphor as easily or
flexibly as people.    (02)

> I would suggest that the use of reference materials would be one of
> the first techniques for an NLP system to use, not the penultimate
> technique.  Looking up standard meanings of phrases -- whether they
> be metaphors or not -- is easier than trying to determine what chains
> of analogical reasoning could have produced a metaphor.    (03)

I agree.    (04)

> A metaphor often derives from several analogical steps.    (05)

Yes.  NLP systems are getting better in doing that kind
of analysis, but they still haven't reached the human level.
That's all I intended to say.    (06)