Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF vs. EAR

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 23:02:26 -0500
On 12/6/2011 10:26 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:
> How should CycL (or other pseudo KIF language) programmers deal with
> sayings such as "I've had it up to here!".    (01)

That is an example of the huge number of research problems with NLP.
A common way of classifying the problems is to subdivide linguistics
into multiple subfields.    (02)

One common subdivision is syntax, semantics, and pragmatics.
Syntax deals with the form without any consideration of meaning.
Semantics deals with the literal meaning, also called the propositional
content.  And pragmatics deals with what you intended to do with your
statement in the context. But that is just scratching the surface.    (03)

The example above would literally say that you have something (it)
up to the level you indicate with a gesture.  That could be another
way of saying "I'm fed up with [something]", which is a frozen
metaphor for saying that you are annoyed about something up to
a level that has reached your limit of tolerance.    (04)

A huge literature has been written about such things.  I say a bit
about them in the following slides (goal.pdf) and the paper
(rolelog.pdf):    (05)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/goal.pdf    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/rolelog.pdf    (07)

Some programs do something useful about such things, but no programs
correctly interpret all such things consistently well.    (08)