Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF vs. EAR

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Tara Athan <taraathan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 19:29:51 -0800
In regard to the meta-language capability of IKL, as well as the utility of XML and XSLT:
I recently completed a dissertation where I needed an XML-based syntax equivalent to IKL, extended with a more powerful meta-language. I wanted to be able to axiomatically express correspondences between structured data in XML, in particular Geography Markup Language (GML), and Common Logic sentences.

Since one of the lanuages involved was XML-based, it was easier to make the whole thing XML than to try to mix XML with JSON or the CLIF/IKL syntax. While the format GeoJSON does exist, the support of GeoJSON web services is far behind that of GML.

The meta-language capability in IKL did not allow quantification down to the character level of propositions, so I extended the syntax with some XSLT-like elements to accommodate this.

The syntax is derived from RuleML (http://ruleml.org), and the semantics from Common Logic and IKL, plus some new semantics for the meta-language.

I would be interested in feedback from the ontolog community - the dissertation is available here
http://ruleml.org/papers/AthanDissertation/AthanGISDissertation2011.pdf
Title: XCLX: An XML-based Common Logic eXtension with Embedded Geography Markup Language

and the schemas are available here
http://common-logic.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/common-logic/xclx/

Tara Athan
Athan Services