Re: [ontolog-forum] NLP2RDF

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 00:21:45 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, December 4, 2011 14:11, Pat Hayes said:
> On Dec 4, 2011, at 12:34 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 12/4/11 12:23 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>> Many in the RDF world would agree. However, RDF is quite independent of
>>> RDF/XML. Much of the world's RDF is written using other notations, and
>>> the RDF standard was written using an 'abstract' (graph) syntax
>>> precisely to allow a variety of surface notations. Just like ISO Common
>>> Logic, in fact.    (01)

>> I think we continue to miss a fundamental issue that is the root of so
>> much confusion. Personally, I believe positioning RDF as both a data
>> model and a collection of syntaxes is the root of the problem.    (02)

> And what do you see "the problem" as being, exactly? Seems to me that RDF
> has (a whole host of tedious small problems, but) no really big, central
> problem.    (03)

I see the major problem with RDF being itsbeing based on triples.  This
leads not only the problem of higher arity relations being awkward to
express, but to the more problematic (imho) issue of statements being
divorced from their context.  Search engines can find individual triples
out of a graph of triples even though they have not been independently
asserted.    (04)

A context can include a time interval
       { dbpedia:AndrewJohnson cyc:presidentOfCountry dbpedia:United_States}
       :holdsDuring
       :Year1866 .
or a qualifier that dismisses its truth
       :DougFoxvog :disbelieves { :Earth :largerThan :Jupiter} .
or be fictional:
   { :Cats :haveIntrinsicAbility :Speaking }
   :inContextOf :GarfieldComicStrip .    (05)

In such cases, the nested assertions can be obtained from RDF triple
stores, no matter which syntax is used, without the qualifying contexts
attached.  If the statements were quads with the fourth argument being
the context, references to the contexts would not get lost when searches
return their matches.    (06)

> Pat
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen
>> Founder&  CEO
>> OpenLink Software
>> Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
>> Personal Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>> Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen
>> Google+ Profile: https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/about
>> LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kidehen    (08)

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (09)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.