Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF vs. EAR

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 21:14:58 -0500
On 12/7/11 8:28 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2011, at 6:07 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 12/7/11 6:22 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
>>> That is why schema.org will destroy RDF/XML.  That day is not far off.
>>> If the Semantic Web is going to survive, the W3C will have to go to
>>> Plan B.  At the bottom of this note, I repeat my modest proposal.
>> RDF/XML imploded a long time ago, it didn't need anything to do that.
>Masking the simplicity of the triple was always its fundamental shortcoming
>re. comprehension and adoption. It's influence ended at the dawn of the Linked
>Open Data era. It's been been an option every since.
>>
>> Naturally, the W3C left it hanging around as the default standard for way
>too long. That said, these days everyone knows its nothing more than an
>optional relic.
> Well, its easy to complain about the W3C being too slow, but there are also
>thousands of people complaining about it moving much too fast. Writing
>standards, I have come to realize, is a guaranteed way to be unpopular with
>just about everyone. On balance, I think its good for standards to trail
>somewhat behind the state of the art, when possible, to let the community
>settle into a kind of working consensus, then the WG can come along and tidy
>things up a bit.    (01)

Yes, but there was a mistake re. RDF, initially. The standard was
prospective and lacked state of art implementations.  Compounding
matters, it had RDF/XML (the s-p-o triple obscurer) as the official syntax.    (02)

The emergence of SPARQL (also prospective but deftly aligned to SQL) lay
the foundation for Linked Data and the Linked Open Data project.
Collectively,  these efforts triggered broad field testing and the
(re)introduction of other syntaxes. My main gripe re. the W3C's handling
of RDF is that they took way too long re., substantive acknowledgement
of alternative syntaxes e.g., Turtle (just recently acknowledged
officially), N-Triples, etc..

>> You may find that you are the only one that still brings RDF/XML into
>conversations these days with regards to Linked Data and/or the Semantic Web
>Project :-)
>>
> +100. The current RDF working group hardly ever mentions RDF/XML. SPARQL,
>Turtle and JSON are at the center of attention, with the occasional reference
>to N-triples and RDFa.
>
> schema.org will not destroy anything. Data in that format will get widely
>deployed, and it will get linked to other data, most of which is already
>deployed and used on the Web in one or another RDF syntax.    (03)

Yep!    (04)

>   This has already happened with other alternatives, such as ConceptNet. The
>more linking happens, the better for everyone. This win/win economics is
>driving the huge expansion of open linked data which is already under way.    (05)

Yep! it's just a Web of ( Linked ) Data, which I know John supports
modulo RDF/XML fixation :-)    (06)

Kingsley    (07)

> Pat
>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen
>> Founder&   CEO
>> OpenLink Software
>> Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
>> Personal Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>> Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen
>> Google+ Profile: https://plus.google.com/112399767740508618350/about
>> LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kidehen

> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973

Regards,    (010)

LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kidehen    (011)