Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF vs. EAR

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:28:58 -0600

On Dec 7, 2011, at 6:07 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:    (01)

> On 12/7/11 6:22 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
>> That is why schema.org will destroy RDF/XML.  That day is not far off.
>> If the Semantic Web is going to survive, the W3C will have to go to
>> Plan B.  At the bottom of this note, I repeat my modest proposal.
> RDF/XML imploded a long time ago, it didn't need anything to do that. Masking
>the simplicity of the triple was always its fundamental shortcoming re.
>comprehension and adoption. It's influence ended at the dawn of the Linked
>Open Data era. It's been been an option every since.
>
> Naturally, the W3C left it hanging around as the default standard for way too
>long. That said, these days everyone knows its nothing more than an optional
>relic.    (02)

Well, its easy to complain about the W3C being too slow, but there are also
thousands of people complaining about it moving much too fast. Writing
standards, I have come to realize, is a guaranteed way to be unpopular with
just about everyone. On balance, I think its good for standards to trail
somewhat behind the state of the art, when possible, to let the community
settle into a kind of working consensus, then the WG can come along and tidy
things up a bit.     (03)

> You may find that you are the only one that still brings RDF/XML into
>conversations these days with regards to Linked Data and/or the Semantic Web
>Project :-)
>     (04)

+100. The current RDF working group hardly ever mentions RDF/XML. SPARQL,
+Turtle and JSON are at the center of attention, with the occasional reference
+to N-triples and RDFa.     (05)

schema.org will not destroy anything. Data in that format will get widely
deployed, and it will get linked to other data, most of which is already
deployed and used on the Web in one or another RDF syntax. This has already
happened with other alternatives, such as ConceptNet. The more linking happens,
the better for everyone. This win/win economics is driving the huge expansion
of open linked data which is already under way.    (06)

Pat    (07)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)