[ontolog-forum] NLP Dealing with metaphor [was: RDF vs. EAR]

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 16:56:35 -0500 (EST)
>On 12/6/2011 10:26 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:
> How should CycL (or other pseudo KIF language) programmers deal with
> sayings such as "I've had it up to here!".    (01)

CycL provides for such things by providing denotations for phrases as
well as for single words.  This works well for standard metaphors.
There was a wonderful cover of AI Magazine in the early 1990's depicting
scores of metaphors ("raining cats and dogs", "a foot in one's mouth", ...)
whose cover article was about Cyc.  The point of the cover was that Cyc
could be used for encoding such metaphors.  Common metaphors have been
handled individually.    (02)

I do not know if the referenced phrase has been encoded in CycL, but it
could be encoded as follows:    (03)

  (multiWordString Have-TheWord "it up to here" Verb
      (VeryHighAmountFn Frustration))    (04)

The Cyc NLP has transformations that map
   "<Instance of Agent> <HAVE> <Emotion>"
to the predicate feelsEmotion, such that it would generate    (05)

  (feelsEmotion ?SPEAKER (VeryHighAmountFn Frustration))    (06)

from the input text and the multiWordString above.    (07)

Analogies are a far harder task.  Cyc has worked on that issue as well.    (08)

-- doug foxvog    (09)

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (010)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.