Re: [ontolog-forum] RDF vs. EAR

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 15:10:53 -0800
Just to shed some light on this:    (01)

On 11-12-06 2:34 PM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (02)

>JFS
>>>But XSLT is a horribly inefficient example.
>
>EB
>>As compared to what?  And for what purpose?
>
>For any transformations of XML of any size, Prolog runs circles
>around XSLT in speed, flexibility, and generality.  Many groups
>(including our VivoMind company) use Prolog to process anything
>we get from the SemWeb -- with a huge improvement in speed and
>scalability to large volumes.    (03)

DN: The problem with XSLT processing is that you have to build 3 internal
DOM's.  One for the XML input, one for the XSLT and a third for the
output.  I use to be the technical chair of XSLT.com and worked on this
issue for many years.  The long and short is that the processing model was
not quite balanced in favour.  Most XSLT processors used xerces.jar to
parse, which had a default behaviour of passing all valid bytes to the
content handler which in turn is used to build the DOM.    (04)

A better approach that I have built a prototype of read the XSLT first,
then built a dynamic parser based on the rules.  Any input XML not
required for the output DOM could be immediately dropped from memory at
the point in which is was a parse event.  The rules for this turned out to
be really tricky however when you throw xPath into the mix.  The end
results were promising but further development is required.    (05)

Another company I co-founded was called XML Global Technologies.  We
worked on the XML transformation problem from another angle and made some
headway by using a declarative model for transformation.  The IP was
acquired by the Xenos Group in 2003.    (06)

I don't see XSLT going away anytime soon nor do I see if improving.    (07)

Duane    (08)

Überity.com
Principal Data Architect &
Adobe LiveCycle ES Consultant Services