Re: [ontolog-forum] knowledge base and DBs

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 21:28:27 -0000
Dear Kingsley,    (01)

-----Original Message-----
From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kingsley Idehen
Sent: 06 January 2015 20:00
To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] knowledge base and DBs    (02)

On 1/6/15 2:00 PM, Matthew West wrote:
> Dear David and Alexander,
> Hmmm. Well to my mind the biggest difference is not to do with
> operations and logic, SQL is very competent. The key difference is
> that a database has a structure that is defined at database definition
> time, and data that is added at runtime. On the other hand, a
> knowledge base has minimal structure, and is defined by the type of
> knowledge base used. None of this has much to do with what you can do
> with the different approaches, and a lot of things you can do with
> either. A database is likely to be more efficient when there are a lot
> of records with the same structure to be stored and referred to. A
> knowledgebase is likely to be more efficient when flexibility in structure
is what is required.

> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Information  Junction
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
> Skype: dr.matthew.west
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
> https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in
> England and Wales No. 6632177.
> Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City,
> Hertfordshire,
> SG6 2SU.    (03)

Matthew,    (04)

How about the following, which distinguishes:    (05)

1. Application that provides management services 2. Document comprised of
content (data).
MW: Well I would not call a database a document. It is the database that
contains the content, and the DBMS which provides access and management
services to the data in the database.    (06)

Thus, we end up with A DBMS (Database Management System) being an
application that provides Data Management (import, indexing, querying,
export etc..) services (driven by its supported model) scoped to
Document(s) [which may be internal or external] comprised of structured data
-- represented using a variety of notations.
[MW>] Well yes, but I still don't like calling a database a document. A
document suggests a lack of structure, as in a text tract, whereas a
database is highly structured.    (07)

Which also implies that a Knowledge Management system  just another kind
application with additional capabilities e.g., reasoning and inference.
[MW>] A DBMS has those capabilities as well, certainly a SQL one.    (08)

In both cases, if relational in orientation, these applications group tuples
as Relational Tables and/or Relational Predicate/Property Graphs.
[MW>] Well strictly relational tables are a different view of data from a
graph view, though they are isomorphic. Of course you can trivially create a
triple store using a relational database. Some of the differences in
performance can arise from whether the underlying structure is graphical or
relational.    (09)

Regards    (010)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (011)

--
Regards,    (012)

Kingsley Idehen