Re: [ontolog-forum] knowledge base and DBs

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 19:00:23 -0000
Dear David and Alexander,
Hmmm. Well to my mind the biggest difference is not to do with operations
and logic, SQL is very competent. The key difference is that a database has
a structure that is defined at database definition time, and data that is
added at runtime. On the other hand, a knowledge base has minimal structure,
and is defined by the type of knowledge base used. None of this has much to
do with what you can do with the different approaches, and a lot of things
you can do with either. A database is likely to be more efficient when there
are a lot of records with the same structure to be stored and referred to. A
knowledgebase is likely to be more efficient when flexibility in structure
is what is required.    (01)

Regards    (02)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (03)