Re: [ontolog-forum] knowledge base and DBs

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Whitten <whitten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 16:54:08 -0500
Notes and questions below.    (01)

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear David,
> You use categories, logic and rules in databases too. What is the type of
> sale? What is the maximum credit a client is allowed?    (02)

This is a good point.    (03)

Do you feel that the ability to categorize particular data in a
database is supported
by the database infrastructure or must be provided by external procedures or
data ?    (04)

When I speak of category support, I'm thinking of being able to define
some data as an instance of a particular category, and then possibly a
hierarchy of categories as sub-collections of other categories, and be
able to find all the data that can be categorized by any particular
category without replicating the entire hierarchy in the query.    (05)

Maybe you could do that by having a fixed height of the category
hierarchy, requiring the hiearchy to be rooted, and storing the path
to the root from the current instance in a block of columns, treating
the path as a series.  I suggest this because I don't know how much
support SQL has for a column that has a variable number of
sub-parts/sub-columns.    (06)

I know that SQL allows some logic (such as in the WHERE clause), but was not
aware that you could store negative information in the database, such as the
suit color was NOT Red, and NOT Plaid. I think of a database as solely storing
positive information (much as Propositional Logic system might support)    (07)

I didn't know SQL supported modal information such as what is "allowed
for a client".    (08)

> A knowledge base does not need to be a collection of singletons, and
> generally is not. I expect a knowledge base to have a lot of classification
> and whole-part relationships, but you might think of them more in relation
> to what the whole-part relations were between rather than as a separate
> collection with the same structure relating different things. It is just
> that with a knowledge base you do not need to think about these things
> before you start, with a database you do.    (09)

I can see how the definition of a knowledge base would need to mention this
dynamic nature of structuring.    (010)

>>> http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/75943.html