Re: [ontolog-forum] knowledge base and DBs

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 14:59:42 -0500
On 1/6/15 2:00 PM, Matthew West wrote:
> Dear David and Alexander,
> Hmmm. Well to my mind the biggest difference is not to do with operations
> and logic, SQL is very competent. The key difference is that a database has
> a structure that is defined at database definition time, and data that is
> added at runtime. On the other hand, a knowledge base has minimal structure,
> and is defined by the type of knowledge base used. None of this has much to
> do with what you can do with the different approaches, and a lot of things
> you can do with either. A database is likely to be more efficient when there
> are a lot of records with the same structure to be stored and referred to. A
> knowledgebase is likely to be more efficient when flexibility in structure
> is what is required.
>
> Regards
>
> Matthew West
> Information  Junction
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
> Skype: dr.matthew.west
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
> https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No. 6632177.
> Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
> SG6 2SU.    (01)

Matthew,    (02)

How about the following, which distinguishes:    (03)

1. Application that provides management services
2. Document comprised of content (data).    (04)

Thus, we end up with A DBMS (Database Management System) being an
application that provides Data Management (import, indexing, querying,
export etc..) services (driven by its supported model) scoped to
Document(s) [which may be internal or external] comprised of structured
data -- represented using a variety of notations.    (05)

Which also implies that a Knowledge Management system  just another kind
application with additional capabilities e.g., reasoning and inference.    (06)

In both cases, if relational in orientation, these applications group
tuples as Relational Tables and/or Relational Predicate/Property Graphs.    (07)

--
Regards,    (08)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO