Re: [ontolog-forum] [External] knowledge base and DBs

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 10:20:56 -0800

In theory, inference rules can be stored and indexed in database rows, and referenced as foreign keys of various tables.  The symbols in each cell only have meaning in the observer’s mind.  So I agree that both are simply stored data.

The difference is in the way “knowledge” is interpreted by said “typical or modal” observer, as compared to how said observer interprets “data”, and perhaps to how said observer writes programs that use or produce said data.  That observing process results in diverse views and diverse actions under diverse interpretations.

So in a clear way, there is no difference in principle between knowledge and data.  It depends on your specific observations and interpretation, many of which you absorb from those you consult.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com