Re: [ontolog-forum] [External] knowledge base and DBs

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 12:57:16 -0500
Hi,

I don’t know if it helps or confuses but I’d like to add the simple truth that…  A Database is always a Knowledge Base but a Knowledge Base is not always a Database.

For example, in the former case you can store documents in database BLOBS and CLOBS but the keys for access must be clearly defined and tied to things like schema definitions for CRUD features to work.  It would be considered, both, a database and Knowledge Base.  In the latter case, you can throw a bunch of inconsistently named documents in a single folder/directory on a hard drive and it would still be a Knowledge Base but never a Database.

My Best,

Frank
--
Frank Guerino, Chairman
The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)