Re: [ontolog-forum] [SPAM] Re: An Ontology Modeling Different Age Groups

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "clynch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <clynch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:53:31 -0700
Does “part” imply a UML 2.0 composite binary relationship? What the relationship between mother and offspring is is different.  Composite implies that the part is “part of” the whole and when the timeline for the whole ends, the timeline for the parts also ends.  As Cecil correctly noted, there are obvious exceptions to this.

The special dependency for this type of relationship is that the offspring is in a special “made from” relationship to two parents.  Once certain events are past, the dependency (or some of it) disappears to the point where most offspring outlive their parents.  For example, after the father’s sperm is contributed, there is no real need for the father other than support (obviously I am being very un-emotional here so no flames please).  As soon as the fetus is of a certain age, the dependency upon the mother is also somewhat reduced as medical professionals and society can help the child survive outside the womb.  Again, this is totally not considering the emotional requirements, only basic survival.  Obviously a child probably fares better with two living parents devoted to the child’s wellbeing.

Interesting discussion however.

Duane