Re: [ontolog-forum] An Ontology Modeling Different Age Groups

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cecil Lynch <clynch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:53:37 -0700
This is a very interesting (and debatable) issue in data modeling of all
types. One of the major advances in interventional surgery has been the
ability to successfully operate on congenital anomalies of a fetus while
in-utero. So when this happens, it brings up many issues as to the
status of the fetus as a patient.    (01)

In the operating room, we have to document estimated blood loss of the
mother as well as the fetus. We use drugs that may or may not cross the
placenta hence one agent is given to one patient and not the other. We
also have to bill for the procedure(s) and document the entity that the
specific surgery was on. In general this means we treat the fetus as an
individual human being with dependencies and interactions with another
human being.    (02)

Cecil    (03)