Re: [ontolog-forum] An Ontology Modeling Different Age Groups

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:11:02 -0700
All:

I think that “part” is simply too vague here.  Suggest using a formal mereotopology to more accurately define the relationship.  SUMO anyone?

On 3/25/09 4:51 PM, "Mike Bennett" <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not if "in the same sense" is given the formal definition of "has the
same DNA as".

Of course it may be given another formal definition, e.g. "is enclosed by".

You can't say "in the same sense" without expressing some idea of what
that sense is. Your statement seems to assume that a sense which exists
in your mind and seems obvious to you, can be the single and only sense
that may exist. It is not.

Mike

Richard H. McCullough wrote:
> Chris
>
> You're throwing emotional issues into the discussion.
> I'm only talking about the definition of a "part".
> The fetus is a part of the mother, in the same sense
> that a kidney is a part of the mother.
>
> Dick

Mike Bennett
Director
Hypercube Ltd.
89 Worship Street
London EC2A 2BF
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7917 9522
Mob: +44 (0) 7721 420 730
www.hypercube.co.uk
Registered in England and Wales No. 2461068