Re: [ontolog-forum] An Ontology Modeling Different Age Groups

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 07:01:55 +0000
Precisely. Or indeed any ontology.    (01)

John makes an important point in "Knowledge Representation" which I
think this discussion bears out, about the need to think of the
ontological commitment that's appropriate for a given application. For
instance in the EDM Council Semantics Repository for the financial
industry I am working through the area on legal and business entities,
and I have a legal entity which is an "Adult Human Being". I've had to
add "Human Being" to the model as well, for example for minors who might
be the ultimate beneficiary of shares in a company. The definition of
"Adult" is entirely jurisdiction dependent, so involves a relationship
to Jurisdiction. As such it would have nothing in common with the sort
of terms being discussed here.    (02)

That is also one of the problems with the idea of using a human based
dictionary as the basis for an ontology. Computers and businesses may be
dealing with different worlds and realities from humans. You won't find
foetus in any dictionary of financial terms any time soon :-)    (03)

Mike    (04)

--
Mike Bennett
Director