Re: [ontolog-forum] semantics of the mKR language

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: KR-language <KR-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:37:09 -0400
Dick,    (01)

We already went around and around on this issue:    (02)

RHM> The meaning of an mKR proposition is -- what mKE does to
 > the knowledge bases, and gives back to the human user.    (03)

That is a fair statement, which I agree with.    (04)

RHM> That being said, here's a definition of the semantics of mKR.
 >
 >   http://mkrmke.org/download/kewin.zip    (05)

You have given a long list of things that your mKE programs
can do with the mKR notation.  Every one of those operations
moves the notation around and performs minimal transformations
on it.  I have already agreed that those operations can be
quite useful.  But they don't come to grips with the meaning
of the symbols in mKR.    (06)

You have admitted that you don't yet do more complex kinds of
reasoning.  And the point that those of us who have been using
and implementing logic-based systems have made is that if you
want to do anything more with the meaning of the mKR notation,
you must give a more precise definition of your language.    (07)

The most serious defect of the mKR notation is in the very
part you seem to be most proud of -- the at-phrases that
specify what you call the context.    (08)

When we pressed you to define what you mean by 'view', you
admitted that you couldn't say anything more specific than
whatever the author intended.  That is a fair statement,
but it implies that no computer today or in the foreseeable
future will be able to do anything further to reason with
those at-phrases.    (09)

In short, your system will be limited to what any search engine
does:  move data around and find data that contains certain
character strings.  That is certainly useful, but it does not
come to grips with the meaning of those strings.    (010)