Re: [ontolog-forum] semantics of the mKR language

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:04:53 -0400
Dick,    (01)

RHM> Your focus on "possible worlds" has prevented you from
 > grasping the true meaning of words, which is derived from
 > sensory perception of things in the real world.    (02)

First of all, Pat and I are not focusing on "possible worlds."
Pat is highly skeptical about various versions of modal logic,
and I have written criticisms of possible worlds semantics.    (03)

In fact, the papers I wrote have recommended Dunn's semantics,
which replaces possible worlds by collections of laws and facts.
I talk about possible worlds because there are many people who
have used that formal approach, and it's necessary to show the
connections.    (04)

Second, Pat and I have also stressed the mapping between
Tarski-style models and the real world.  Those mappings can
be and have been implemented in robotics by artificial
sensory mechanisms, but they are also consistent with the
research in cognitive psychology.    (05)

And third, Pat, I, and many others who have been criticizing
the loose ends in mKR have worked with and collaborated with
many professional psychologists and philosophers over the
years.  We are very well aware of those issues.  But we are
also very well aware that you can't get away with loose ends
in any notation th
at is intended for computer implementation.    (06)