Re: [ontolog-forum] semantics of the mKR language

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:26:22 -0400
Azamat,    (01)

I was trying to point out that there are many flowers blooming
in the context fields, but most of them have not been adequately
identified, analyzed, defined, and classified.    (02)

AA> John wrote:    (03)

JFS> The way you [RHM] use it in mKR falls roughly in the ballpark
> of various theories, but I and many other people who subscribe to
> this forum believe that your discussions about it are so vague that
> it doesn't come close to being considered an even marginally useful
> "theory".    (04)

What I was saying is that just adding an at-phrase that represents
some undefined "view" does not constitute a theory.  Everybody
knows that different people have different views, and those views
are important for interpreting what they say.    (05)

Merely acknowledging that fact does not add to our knowledge about
context, and claiming that mKR has a theory of context because of
its "at view" phrase is misleading, confusing, or false advertising.    (06)

AA> Mao said: "Letting a hundred flowers blossom and a hundred schools
> of thought contend is the policy for promoting progress in the arts
> and the sciences ...".    (07)

That's a good slogan.  But there's a big difference between actions
and slogans.  Remember that about 40 years ago, Mao let loose the
Red Guards, who tried to destroy the "flowers" (books, art work,
and scholars) of several millennia of Chinese arts and sciences.    (08)

I don't believe that mKR poses a threat to the arts and sciences,
but I was suggesting that Dick might make a more useful contribution
if he tried to clarify his claims about context.    (09)