Re: [ontolog-forum] semantics of the mKR language

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:29:21 -0400
Duane and Dick,    (01)

DN> I think the movie was called '2001: A Space Odyssey'
 > - one of my favorite ever.    (02)

I agree that I should have used the full title.    (03)

RHM> I remember your recent email re: Dunn, and your
 > "Ways of mapping possible worlds to contexts" in
 > "Knowledge Representation". I have not read any of
 > your papers on Dunn.    (04)

See the first few sections of either or both of the
following papers:    (05)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/worlds.pdf    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/laws.htm    (07)

RHM> I might endorse the "laws and facts" approach.
 > But mKR is a language that combines Context theory
 > and Situation theory.  I don't know if you think that
 > Context theory has its own acceptable form of Semantics.    (08)

Both words 'context' and 'situation' have a very broad
range of meanings in ordinary language.  The phrase
'situation semantics' has been applied to a particular
theory of NL semantics developed by Jon Barwise and
John Perry.    (09)

There have been more theories of context than there are
senses of the word 'context'.  Everyone agrees that the
idea (however it might be defined) is central to the use
of natural languages, but there is no agreement on how
to formalize the notion in any version of semantics
(either for natural languages or for versions of logic).    (010)

The way you use it in mKR falls roughly in the ballpark of
various theories, but I and many other people who subscribe
to this forum believe that your discussions about it are so
vague that it doesn't come close to being considered an even
marginally useful "theory".    (011)