Re: [ontolog-forum] semantics of the mKR language

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:54:24 -0400
Dick,    (01)

What you have been doing is not even up to the level that the
linguists, logicians, philosophers, and computer scientists
were developing and implementing in the 1970s and early '80s.
See, for example, the work on Montague grammar, situation
semantics, discourse representation structures, and related
topics.  All of them went far beyond what you've been trying
to do with your context fields -- and they did it 20 or 30
years ago.    (02)

RHM>  I don't believe John or Pat have come to grips with the
 > meaning of symbols in any natural language, e.g., English.    (03)

I can assure you that Pat has been working and collaborating
with people in those fields for a long time.  If you want to
bring your work up to the level of the 1980s, I recommend my
1984 book, _Conceptual Structures_, which discusses and refers
to those areas. You can find most of that material in my
on-line bibliography:    (04)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/bib.htm    (05)

If you want to come up to the 1990s level, you can read my
book _Knowledge Representation_ and many other recent
publications that are also in that bibliography.  I also
refer to a great deal of the historical and recent work
in the paper _Pursuing the Goal of Language Understanding_:    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/pursuing.pdf    (07)

RHM> I have not tried to do more complex reasoning.  I have
 > devoted my efforts to exploring different applications to see
 > if mKR could adequately describe those applications.    (08)

Many the people we have been citing have developed systems
and notations that describe those areas and reason about them.
As I said before, you should *study* their work before
reinventing a flat wheel.    (09)