Re: [ontolog-forum] Tighter control of ontolog forum?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:47:40 -0500
For entirely selfish reasons, I hope this forum remains as open as it
has been.    (01)

Many of the members of this forum, I suspect, are (like myself) not
formally-trained knowledge engineers but are quite capable of using
tools, models, and strategies developed, in many cases, by the members
of this forum. Responses to my uneducated questions have been useful.
When other "outsiders" ask questions, they also provoke responses that
increase my understanding of the domain.    (02)

Although some participants have said that this forum has a bad
reputation because of its openness, I often cite the forum to my
colleagues as a place full of interesting, meaningful, well-reasoned
exchanges -- often superbly written to boot. I am not the only one who
has a high opinion of the forum, but most of us are, indeed, outsiders.    (03)

I also find the periodic deflating of ungrounded and unresearched claims
useful ... and a guilty pleasure, as long as my ideas are not the ones
being skewered.  It's a warning to me that I had better do my homework
before I ask questions here.    (04)

Phil Murray
Senior Research Fellow
The Center for Semantic Excellence