Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and Category Theory

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jakub Kotowski <jakubkotowski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:43:36 +0100
Mitch,    (01)

Mitch Harris schrieb:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Len Yabloko <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Dear All
>>
>> Category Theory had been mentioned many times on this forum. I think this
>subject deserves a separate thread. As usual the attitudes range widely. Some
>of you consider CT largely irrelevant to subjects discussed on this forum
>because it lacks both philosophical underpinning of Logic and practical
>application of Ontology, leaving it pretty much a mathematical discipline.
>
>  - My opinion is that it is currently irrelevant because there are no
> current applications of CT to ontologies    (02)

I think there are some - for example the theory of institutions which is
used to study relations between different logics and therefore also
ontologies over different logics. See:    (03)

Data, Schema, Ontology and Logic Integration
by: Joseph A Goguen
Logic Journal of the IGPL, Vol. 13, No. 6. (November 2005), pp. 685-715.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jigpal/jzi050    (04)

Institutions: abstract model theory for specification and programming
by: Joseph A Goguen, Rod M Burstall
J. ACM, Vol. 39, No. 1. (January 1992), pp. 95-146.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/147508.147524    (05)

Jakub    (06)