Re: [ontolog-forum] Tighter control of ontolog forum?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:49:26 -0500

This is an open forum, and the discussions have been vigorous and informal, often like those in a college dorm around midnight.  One difference is the fact that these discussions are being recorded for all time for the public to observe, so one would *hope* for some caution in expressing negative opinions .  Still, if one member thinks that another’s contribution is truly stupid, I would not want to see any inhibition on _expression_ of such an opinion.  We know the kinds of strong opinions that can be advanced here, and if any of us has a skin too thin to tolerate direct insult, I would suggest that such members not participate (or, alternatively, advance only opinion for which there is strong citation support).  As one who has been called “mad”, I find the debate exhilarating and amusing, even when I am on the receiving end.

I hope we stay wide open, and leave censorship to the contributors themselves, except in extreme cases of persistent disruptive posts.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.

908-561-3416