Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:38:17 +0000
Kingsley,

>John F. Sowa wrote:
>> Paola, Kingsley, and Cecil,
>> [SNIP]
>>
>> What we do at VivoMind is to represent everything in conceptual
>> graphs and to index the graphs by a Cognitive Signature (TM) as
>> they arrive.  When new graphs arrive, we compute their Cognitive
>> Signatures, check whether we ever saw anything similar, and
>> retrieve the previous cases.
>>
>Cool, he kind of thing you can also do over a cluster of servers, even
>if you provide SPARQL or SQL as entry points to the engine.    (01)

Obviously, since as John pointed out all different data representations are
essentially logical equivalent. I think this a case of confusing logic with
semantics. The question should be: are all these so called "conceptual views"
represent the same concepts.    (02)

>This is a very important point, as this is ultimately how the strange
>DBMS void between RDBMS (schema first; column or row stores) and Graph
>Model DBs (e.g. RDF Stores) will be bridged.
>    (03)

The void can only be bridged with reach semantics providing intended
interpretation and composition for conceptual structures. RDF does not provide
these (IHMO). Looking at the pretty pictures in your link I don't see how all
different databases at the bottom end-up exposing conceptual view at the top.
Can you explain?    (04)