Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 11:31:47 +0100
Dear Erick,    (01)

>   thanks a lot for your replies (very interesting projects). I was
> wondering how hard or how easy was to "convince" your people
> (ranging
> from supervisors/managers to end users) and/or budget keepers or
> funding agencies in your respective companies (e.g. Shell) or
> research
> centers to embark on a relatively "new" (not that popularised)
> technology (referring to ontologies, Semantic Web, standards like
> ISO
> 15926, etc...).     (02)

MW: The biggest problem was conservatism. If you are a project manager
who has successfully implemented multi-billion dollar projects and you
have someone suggesting a new way to do something, it is not too
surprising if that project manager thinks first of this new idea as a
threat - it is unproven, and therefore could go wrong. Why should he
take that risk? Let them use some  other project as a guinea pig.    (03)

I think there are more constructive approaches you can take, like
managing the potential risk, and making sure that the project success is
not dependent on this new fangled bit of technology, but I do not find
this attitude surprising.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in
England and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (07)