Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:13:03 -0400
Rich,    (01)

Wittgenstein was opening up a way of looking at language that was
radically different from the way logicians and linguists had been
thinking about it.    (02)

RC> Is there a good reference you would recommend for describing
 > the details of common linguistic games?  Anything automated that
 > would identify games based on corpora?    (03)

There has been a lot written, but there's no consensus, and
no systematic software.  It's still an area where finding
good paradigms is still an open-ended research problem.    (04)

One point that I believe is significant is that Ludwig W. wrote
his first book (which presented his views based on earlier
reading and discussions with Frege and Russell).  After he
published that, he decided to go teach elementary school
in an Austrian mountain village.    (05)

He didn't say much about the several years he spent teaching, but
some of his later examples seem to be influenced by that time.    (06)

On a somewhat related point, I recently came across the
following story about how school children react to the
"game" of solving arithmetic problems.    (07)

John    (08)