Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rob Akscyn" <ra33@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:29:05 +1300 (NZDT)
> Dr Sowa,
>
> I have few comments..
>
>>For fish, living in water is an accidental property because
>>some fish can live out of water for a while.  Way back when,
>>there were a few fish that crawled out of the water and became
>>amphibians.
>
> I would think, for fish, living in the water is "essential" property.
> Because amphibians are called amphibians like frog, crocodoil ...
> and for amphibians it is an 'accidental' property..
> but the naming convention is used to seperate them..  Fish's natural
>environement is
> water and an amphibian, it could be water and land..
>
> I agree with your philosophy of water, sounds like knowldege and have similar
>qualities
> ( the way some explain about "Dravida"  .. druve+veda  =  druve =liguid or
>water and
> veda = knowledge ... may be it means knowledge with similar property as
>water..)..    (01)

I would argue that "living in water" is not an "essential" property, otherwise
a fish
would cease to be a fish the moment you pulled it out of the water. Fresh fish
in a
market are still fish.    (02)

And from an ontological perspective, things get very messy when using words
like "water",
since formally speaking, water is simply a substance (a single molecule of H2O
is water).
What we often mean by "in water" in the context of many sentences is some "body
of water"
(a point I think John was alluding to). SideComment: the fact that much of human
discourse occurs where the receiver understands what the sender actually meant,
even
when the expressions used don't technically express that meaning, is a serious
conumdrum
for trying to reduce natural language to formal logics. (note my mis-use of
"where"
above).    (03)

Rob
*******