Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:00:08 -0400
Pavithra,    (01)

 > I am so surprised about you knowing John Zachman!    (02)

We both worked at IBM.  And we sometimes spoke at the same events.
I wrote a joint paper with him to show that his framework could be
used to analyze a subject that could then be mapped to logic.    (03)

 > Why do you all always support ER only?  Even Oracle, the data
 > base engine gurus now support Object Oriented databases?  UML
 > heavily supports OO notations!  Why is the preference for
 > relational databases?    (04)

I support *every* type of database.  My objection is to those
people who try to force everything into a single format.    (05)

I support *everything* that has proved to be useful.  ER is
one useful notation among many others.  So are DLs.  So is
FOL.  So are rule-based systems.  So are O-O systems.  So
are statistics-based systems.  So are fuzzy systems.  And
so are the technologies developed for the Semantic Web.    (06)

But the main point I was trying to make is that *none* of these
things exist in a vacuum, and systems that use one of them for
one purpose have to interoperate with systems that use another
for another purpose.    (07)

As I have said many times, the worst thing about the Semantic
Web is the word 'web'.  I agree that many web applications pose
problems that have different performance requirements from some
of the applications that do not use the web.  But it's a matter
of degree.  There is no sharp dividing line.    (08)

The important thing is to emphasize semantic *systems* independently
of whether they are on the web, a supercomputer, or a coffee maker.    (09)