Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:46:40 +0000
>Len Yabloko wrote:
>> Kingsley,

>>> Cool, he kind of thing you can also do over a cluster of servers, even
>>> if you provide SPARQL or SQL as entry points to the engine.
>>>

>> Obviously, since as John pointed out all different data representations are
>essentially logical equivalent. I think this a case of confusing logic with
>semantics. The question should be: are all these so called "conceptual views"
>represent the same concepts.
>>

>>> This is a very important point, as this is ultimately how the strange
>>> DBMS void between RDBMS (schema first; column or row stores) and Graph
>>> Model DBs (e.g. RDF Stores) will be bridged.
>>>

>> The void can only be bridged with reach semantics providing intended
>interpretation and composition for conceptual structures. RDF does not provide
>these (IHMO). Looking at the pretty pictures in your link I don't see how all
>different databases at the bottom end-up exposing conceptual view at the top.
>>

>Len,
>
>Links (assuming I hadn't posted these earlier re. the generation of a
>concrete conceptual data access layer that starts with a logical
>Relational Schema):
>
>1.
>http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/Whitepapers/html/VirtOpenConceptualDataModelsPaper.html
>2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VOSSQL2RDF
>(note: some of the live demo links are broken, but will be fixed soon)
>    (01)

Thank you for the links. I have seen various versions of these before. None of
them answers my simple question: how do we know that "conceptual views"
consistently represent the same concepts. This problem is a direct consequence
of the OWA. All your presentations pretend that the problem does not exists.
Take a look at this link that explains the problem and possible solutions:
http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/2008/iswc-tones/slides/TonesTutorial08-4.pdf    (02)