Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:54:22 -0400
Len Yabloko wrote:

>>> Kingsley,

>>> Obviously, since as John pointed out all different data representations are
>essentially logical equivalent. I think this a case of confusing logic with
>semantics. The question should be: are all these so called "conceptual views"
>represent the same concepts.

>>> The void can only be bridged with reach semantics providing intended
>interpretation and composition for conceptual structures. RDF does not provide
>these (IHMO). Looking at the pretty pictures in your link I don't see how all
>different databases at the bottom end-up exposing conceptual view at the top.
>>>

>> Len,
>>
>> Links (assuming I hadn't posted these earlier re. the generation of a
>> concrete conceptual data access layer that starts with a logical
>> Relational Schema):
>>
>> 1.
>>
>http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/Whitepapers/html/VirtOpenConceptualDataModelsPaper.html
>> 2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VOSSQL2RDF
>> (note: some of the live demo links are broken, but will be fixed soon)
>>

> Thank you for the links. I have seen various versions of these before. None
>of them answers my simple question: how do we know that "conceptual views"
>consistently represent the same concepts. This problem is a direct consequence
>of the OWA. All your presentations pretend that the problem does not exists.
>Take a look at this link that explains the problem and possible solutions:
> http://owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/2008/iswc-tones/slides/TonesTutorial08-4.pdf

Len,    (01)

We don't pretend about anything.    (02)

Can you simply layout a scenario e.g.,  Relational Data (e.g. HR
system), Customer Services Data (CRM), Finance and General Mgmt. (ERP).
Then outline your notion of Entities and associated conceptual views
that would exist across these domains.    (03)

If the above isn't what your talking about, then layout a real world
example.    (04)

I don't have any time for PDFs. I like to deal with real problems and
show real solutions etc..    (05)

Kingsley

>> --
>>

>> Regards,