Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology-based database integration

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:04:31 -0400
Len Yabloko wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
>> John F. Sowa wrote:
>>
>>> Paola, Kingsley, and Cecil,
>>> [SNIP]
>>>
>>> What we do at VivoMind is to represent everything in conceptual
>>> graphs and to index the graphs by a Cognitive Signature (TM) as
>>> they arrive.  When new graphs arrive, we compute their Cognitive
>>> Signatures, check whether we ever saw anything similar, and
>>> retrieve the previous cases.
>>>

>> Cool, he kind of thing you can also do over a cluster of servers, even
>> if you provide SPARQL or SQL as entry points to the engine.
>>

> Obviously, since as John pointed out all different data representations are
>essentially logical equivalent. I think this a case of confusing logic with
>semantics. The question should be: are all these so called "conceptual views"
>represent the same concepts.
>

>> This is a very important point, as this is ultimately how the strange
>> DBMS void between RDBMS (schema first; column or row stores) and Graph
>> Model DBs (e.g. RDF Stores) will be bridged.
>>

> The void can only be bridged with reach semantics providing intended
>interpretation and composition for conceptual structures. RDF does not provide
>these (IHMO). Looking at the pretty pictures in your link I don't see how all
>different databases at the bottom end-up exposing conceptual view at the top.

Len,    (01)

Links (assuming I hadn't posted these earlier re. the generation of a
concrete conceptual data access layer that starts with a logical
Relational Schema):    (02)

1.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/Whitepapers/html/VirtOpenConceptualDataModelsPaper.html
2. http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VOSSQL2RDF
(note: some of the live demo links are broken, but will be fixed soon)    (03)

Regards,    (05)

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software     Web: http://www.openlinksw.com    (06)